5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 12:14 PM by philmodjunk

Add Account button doesn't work

PatrickHammarström

Title

Add Account button doesn't work

Hi all,

I am currently working on account and privilege settings in FileMaker Pro 13. I have created a "quick access and commands" page in which I plan to display account management related buttons which the database administrator should be able to use.

I have inserted a button which is linked to a script which I have created and called "Add account" after having read how to proceed in the FileMaker Pro help menu. In fact, it seems that I cannot use the already available "add account" script proposed by FM as menu does not allow to "run script with full access privileges" which is required for a user without full access rights

Whether with my full access rights or those I have defined for the administrator, the button doesn't display the "Add Account Options" popup window when clicking on it. Nothing happens...

I have to add that I did not specify any account name, password or privilege set when creating the script (assuming that the popup would appear to allow the administrator to define these).

Has anyone been confronted with this issue ? Or have I done something completely wrong?

Thanks for your help folks.

• 1. Re: Add Account button doesn't work
          philmodjunk

You can find that option in the script editor. Open manage | scripts. Double click the script to open it in the script editor and check the the bottom section of the script editor. (and this is one that can't be run as a button option. You have to set up the button to perform a script.)

• 2. Re: Add Account button doesn't work
            PatrickHammarström

Thanks for your answer Phil. I have already checked this box and the button still doesn't work...  Any clue?

• 3. Re: Add Account button doesn't work
              philmodjunk

I'd need to see the exact script that you are using.

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post a New Answer.
              3. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
              5. If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
              7. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.
              • 4. Re: Add Account button doesn't work
                PatrickHammarström

Here's a screenshot of the script I am using. In the background you can see the layout and the button which is linked to the script but doesn't work.

• 5. Re: Add Account button doesn't work
                  philmodjunk

The script step is incomplete. IN order for this step to add an account, you have to click the Specify button (select the script step first) and specify an account name, password and privilege set.

The typical way to do this is to set up some fields (often global fields) where the user specifies and account name and password, then you run this script to create the account using the data in the fields to name the account and password.

To specify different privilege sets becomes more of a challenge. You have to add a field with a value list listing the privilege sets and then you use If - Else If - End If with a series of Add Account scripts steps, each specifying a different privilege set for the new account. The If calculations then determine which of those add account steps are performed and thus which privilege set is specified for the new account.