4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 10:55 AM by scottpoxon

Add contact group field

scottpoxon

Title

Add contact group field

HI All, I am new to FMpro and at this point evalutaing the software for our company, I have started using the default email campaign file which seems to suit our needs, my question is can you add a field onto contacts tab in which you can select one of the created groups so as the recors is automatically added to the group?

hope you can help

Thanks

• 1. Re: Add contact group field
          davidhead

Hi Scott

To add a contact to a group, the database creates a join record in the Group_Contacts table. This is done for you in a scripted process from the Groups tab.

It would be possible to modify the solution such that you could add a contact to a group from the Contacts tab. It may be a similar process where you click a button, a group selection window pops up and you select which groups you want to add the person to. Remember that a person can be a member of multiple groups.

Alternatively, you could have a different interface - one where you select a group from a pop-up list (using a global field) and then click a button to add the person to the selected group. The scripted process would create the join record for the person and the group. This could be repeated by the user for as many groups as needed.

If you let me know how you would like it to work, I can provide more details instructions.

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 2. Re: Add contact group field
            scottpoxon

Thanks TS_Oz, 

Sorry for taking time to get back to you,

"Alternatively, you could have a different interface - one where you select a group from a pop-up list (using a global field) and then click a button to add the person to the selected group. The scripted process would create the join record for the person and the group. This could be repeated by the user for as many groups as needed" 

This is the route I had envisioned the only scenario was that you would have to include a group  and that it would auto add once selected. either option would be fine just as long as it mandates field completion.

Thanks for all your help.

scott

• 3. Re: Add contact group field
              davidhead

Hello Scott

I would be a little hesitant about the "auto add once selected". What if I accidentally chose the wrong group? Would I end up adding the person to multiple groups? Can I delete them easily from a group. Just something to think about.

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 4. Re: Add contact group field
                scottpoxon

Hi TS_Oz, Looks like my last reply didn't take for some reason, I agree with your comments. would you be able to help out with adding this functionality?

Thanks

Scott