5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2012 6:29 PM by CatherineWilkinson

Add label capability to a new layout in List View

CatherineWilkinson

Title

Add label capability to a new layout in List View

Hello

If anyone could please advise as to how I can create labels from a new layout in List View, I would be ever so grateful. The Starter Solution for Contact Management had a Labels button at the top of the List View layout, but I've created a new layout and cannot figure out had to add that Labels button.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Add label capability to a new layout in List View
          philmodjunk

Do you want to replace the old with the new or be able to choose between the original layout and the new layout that you have created.

And which version of Filemaker do you have? The starter solutions for fmp12 are quite different from those for earlier versions.

• 2. Re: Add label capability to a new layout in List View
            CatherineWilkinson

Hi, thanks so much. I'm trying to be able to choose between the starter solution layout and the new layout. Basically I just want a simple database for the nonprofit I'm working for that will allow me to print labels off of the List View. But the problem I've found is that, naturally, some contacts prefer to be reached by post via their work address and others by their home address. So I couldn't figure out how to setup a label layout that would pull whatever address I had- be it home address or work address. So what I've done is setup the List View layout from the original Starter Solution Contact database to create labels from work addresses, and I've created a new layout setup with home addresses from which I'm hoping to be able to print labels. Does that make sense?? I'm using the brand new Filemaker Pro 12. Thanks so much for any help, was ready to throw my computer out the window. 

• 3. Re: Add label capability to a new layout in List View
              davidanders

There is a free unlocked template for non profits at http://www.filemakerdonations.com/

It may or may not be of interest.

• 4. Re: Add label capability to a new layout in List View
                philmodjunk

You can certainly add a button next to the current one to print from your new layout, but you'll have a problem that's not so easily solved. Unless you are printing one label at a time with a label printer, in one list of contacts you might have contacts that prefer their home address and others that perfer their work address.

Instead of pulling up one group of contacts that prefer their work address and one for those that prefer their home address, you might be better off setting up a labels layout where the fields used display the preferred address info for each contact--both work or home as specified by a preference field.

The contacts starter solution uses separate fields in the same contacts table for data I would personally perfer to put in related tables in order to achieve greater flexibility. A separate table for addresses, for example would allow for more than two addresses in cases where that might be needed and this would change what I am about to describe that will work for the existing table design:

Add a "PreferredAddress" field and put it on a layout with a value list so that you can select either "Home" or "work".

Define some calculation fields such as this one, cPreferredAddress 1, for the address fields that you'll put on your label layout:

If ( PreferredAddress = "Home" ; Home Address 1 ; Work Address 1 )

Create similar calcualtion fields for city, State, Address 2 fields....

If you then put these fields on your layout, the same page of layouts can include work and home addresses as controlled by the value in the preference field.

• 5. Re: Add label capability to a new layout in List View
                  CatherineWilkinson

Wow, this is amazing feedback thank you so much for taking the time. I will take a deep breath and tackle this! Thanks again