AnsweredAssumed Answered

Add new note button - how to adapt to my own layout?

Question asked by brianbotkiller on Jun 14, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Add new note button - how to adapt to my own layout?

Hi everyone, 

I need to duplicate the "add new note" button that is in the contact management template that comes with FMP.  I simply have a text section in my layout in which I need to make a new note box to enter archive notes copied (manually) from another notes section in the layout. However, I'm a little confused about how to use the parameters of the button in the contact management template in my new layout.  

I understand that if I want to keep track of username/etc. when the new note is created, I need to create a table entry wherein each note will be its own new record in the table as they are created, allowing for searching/sorting/etc.  I believe this is what I need to do.  However looking at the script from the add note script which comes with FMP, I'm a little confused about how to adapt this to my needs.  

The notes section in the layout is simply notes on a project, which are the current status notes of the project.  However the old notes need to be copied into the archive notes section to be able to look at the history of notes enered.  

So, I have a table created in the database called "archive notes".  I have a new tab in the layout named archive notes.  In it I want to craete a button for "add new note", which when clicked, will track the username/date/etc., and create a text entry box in which the user can paste the data from the "current status" notes section, which is defined simply as "notes" in the database. 

I just want to make sure I do this right, I know it requires some scripting, but it seems like there should be a way to use the script from the FMP solution in some way, since it's exactly what I need, but copying it, well, doesn't work. 

If anyone has thoughts, I would be very grateful.  Thank you!

Outcomes