6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 12:39 PM by Etienned´Ursel

Add record in List View

Etienned´Ursel

Title

Add record in List View

tHello,

Does anyone has an elegant way of adding a record to a list view?  i.e. without having the user needing to go all the way up the window to clic the "new record" button.

One way seems to be placing a  button that adds a recored  in the footer, unfortunately the body of the list view does not dynamically change size with the length of the list so when the list is close to empty  the button is "quite far away"

Again an other way would be to place such a button on the records themselves , but I did not find a way to have that button appearing only on the last record.

Thanks in advance

Etienne

FM_forum.jpg

• 1. Re: Add record in List View
          philmodjunk

If this is FileMaker 13, the following Hide Object When setting would hide the button on any record except the last record:

Get ( RecordNumber ) ≠ get ( FoundCount )

But you could get much the same result without the Hide Object when option if you just put the button inside a trailing grand summary layout part.

And you can always use ctrl-N to create a new record without using any button.

• 2. Re: Add record in List View
            Etienned´Ursel

Thanks Phil,

It is Filemaker 13 ( on a Mac )

Both work beautifully, why the get function still works when I sort the records differently is a mystery to me but all the better. However no way to have cmd N nor crtl N producing a new record.

regards Etienne

• 3. Re: Add record in List View
              philmodjunk

However no way to have cmd N nor crtl N producing a new record.

Why? this is a built in feature of FileMaker Pro. What keeps these options from being available? No physical keyboard available to the typical user?

If you are using FM GO and need an option to create a new record when the last record in the found set is the current record and the iOS keyboard is deployed, there might be a way to set up the "next" control in the top of the keyboard to create a new record.

The get functions still evaluate because they are inside a "hide object when" property. Both this property and conditional format expressions continually re-evaluate on the current layout (this is why they can sometimes create slow to update layouts).

• 4. Re: Add record in List View
                Etienned´Ursel

Yes it is puzzling because, believe me or not, cmd E does delete records.  I am working on a Macbook so there is no way to modify the keyboard.

I understand if both functions evaluate at the layout level it makes senses that we get the right result even if the records are sorted on a non-primary key field.  Thanks.

Etienne

• 5. Re: Add record in List View
                  philmodjunk

Are you using the latest version of the Mac OS?

It's got a known issue where a number of keyboard shortcuts go missing, though the one for new record does not show in the reports that I checked.

For More Information see:     Shortcut for Layout disappear

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 6. Re: Add record in List View
                    Etienned´Ursel

Yes, I have the latest OS X version.