1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 9:03 AM by philmodjunk

Add record in portal

Beemer

Title

Add record in portal

I am trying to emulate the functionality of the Estimates template in another database, but can't get it to work.

I want to do something similar to the new estimate layout where the Item and associated fields are from the portal Estimate Data:: Item, category, price and so on. And that when one row is complete the user simply clicks on the next row to start a new row.

I can get the portal to show my field from a drop down value list, but have two (as far as I can tell) issues:

Firstly - in Layout Mode in the Data window of the Inspector, when I make the choices in display data from (Editorial::EditorialID), control style (Drop-down list), values from (EditorialID), the only option available in the following radio boxes is 'include arrow...'. Other two boxes are unavailable.

Secondly - I can only create the first row in the portal. The second (empty) row does not show. portal is set to show 6 repetitions and have scroll bar. No sort or filter set and it is set to take records from my Editorial table.

Can someone shed light on why I can't check the auto-complete using existing values and how to make a second row available once values have been entered in the first?

Also having some funny issues with entries in one record duplicating in another in the same found set.

• 1. Re: Add record in portal
          philmodjunk

First, see this thread on adding new portal rows: Creating Portal Rows in FMP 11

then:

the only option available in the following radio boxes is 'include arrow...'. Other two boxes are unavailable.

This is to be expected if you are using a value list with the "specify values from a field" option and that selects an ID number as the first field. It's not what you or I want--that auto-complete would be helpful, but it's what you'll get with that kind of value list. The "edit" option is only for custom values and the auto-complete is for value lists that enter text into a text field.

There are methods that work around the auto-complete limitation provided the extra relationship and scripting is added to make it work. I happen to have a demo file:

FileMaker 12 users: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/SimpleNameLookupDemo.fmp12
               Pre FileMaker 12 Users: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78737945/SimpleNameLookupDemo.fp7

Also having some funny issues with entries in one record duplicating in another in the same found set.

Sounds like a completely different issue and one that you'll need to describe in a lot more detail--possibly in a new thread before we can offer any guesses as to why that is happening.