6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2013 11:43 AM by willem67

add records to found sets

willem67

Title

add records to found sets

I am a Bento user and now I am converting to Filemaker. However, I am missing one feature in Bento. I might have overlooked.

In Bento one can make folders to store certain sets of records: not necesarrily records from a specific search. One can add a record to this folder and one can also delete records from this folder.

I know how to save finds and how to modify these searches, but I am now looking for a way to save a few records that do not necesarrily originate from a search, and to add and delete from that set.

• 1. Re: add records to found sets
          philmodjunk

but I am now looking for a way to save a few records that do not necesarrily originate from a search

If they do not "originate from a search", how do they originate?

FileMaker offers a number of ways to manipulate the records in a found set.

Go To Related Records

Perform Find

Extend Found Set

Constrain Found Set

Omit Record(s)

Show All Records

Show Omitted Only

all modify what records are currently in a found set.

And you can save the criteria used to find a group of records with Saved Finds

And there are several different ways that you can make a set of records part of a group so that you can pull that group of records up again. You can assign a value to a field, or build a list of serial number ID's in a field or variable in order to be able to recreate that specific group of records.

Rather than describe this in general terms, it would be better to provide a specific example of what you want to do.

• 2. Re: add records to found sets
            willem67

If I am browsing through my records and I see one or two records that I would like to 'mark' or to 'save' so view these later, how do I do this efficiently? 

I could indeed assign a value to a field. But if I have various reasons, I gets messy. Also, if I find another record later that I would like to save for the same reason, I would like to add this record to the previously saved records. In Bento it was easy to make folders to store sets of records. 

• 3. Re: add records to found sets
              philmodjunk

I am browsing through my records and I see one or two records that I would like to 'mark' or to 'save' so view these later, how do I do this efficiently?

While you have already pointed out some of this method's short comings, let's start with the simplest approach just to get the ball rolling:

If you add a check box field to the record. You can click the check box field to "mark it" for future reference. If you then perform a find for all records that have the checkbox selected, you can easily pull up a group of such "marked" records. As you have noted, however, this only allows you to set up a single such group of records, but it's easy to set up and often that single group is all that is needed so we need to keep that option in our "toolbox" for this type of thing.

You can extend this to a small number of groups if you use either a group of checkbox or radio button values. this could allow you to assign set up multiple groups. If you use a radio button format, a given record can only be a member of a single group. If you use checkboxes, a given record can be a member of more than one group.

But this is still pretty limited, and in addition to this limitation, if you have more than one person using your database, you see the group assignments made by all users--not just your own.

But there are also other methods you can use. You can set up this set of tables and relationships:

YourTable-----<Group_Membership>------Groups

YourTable::__pkYourTableID = Group_Membership::_fkYourTableID
                   Groups::__pkGroupID = Group_Membership::_fkGroupID

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

Now you can create any number of records in Groups, you can think of them as "folder names" and you can use records in group_membership to assign a given record in YourTable to as many different groups as you need. You are only limited by the number of records in these two related tables that you choose to create. And unlike what I suspect that you can do in Bento, a given record can be a member of more than one group.

The simplest way to work with records in Group_Membership to assign records to groups is to place a portal to Group_Membership on the layout for YourTable. _fkGroupID can be formatted with a drop down list from Groups for assigning a given record in Group_Membership to a Group record.

• 4. Re: add records to found sets
                willem67

Thank you. It is a good idea to make a related table with groups.

However, it brings me back to an older problem that I have. How can I link a related record via a portal in a large set or records?

E.g. 100 records are 'member' of a group. Instead of mannually adding the group to every record I would like to do this in one action. It might even be more complex if some records are already assigned to another group and it would be the second entry in the portal.

• 5. Re: add records to found sets
                  philmodjunk

If you pull up such a group in a found set by performing a find, you can then use Replace Field Contents to assign the same value to a field in every record of that found set to update them all in one batch operation.Replace Field Contents is found in the records menu and also may be used as a step in a script.

It's also possible to create a script that loops through that found set. Thus, if you use a Join table to manage multiple group membership for the same individuals, you could find a group of records and use a script to generate the needed join table records to make them part of a specified group.

• 6. Re: add records to found sets
                    willem67

Thank you. Very good advice as usual!