4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 8:37 AM by philmodjunk

Add table to existing database

catthedog04

Title

Add table to existing database

Hi all,

Im brand new to filemaker (using FM Pro 9 on Windows XP) and have been following examples of how to set up databases from a book on filemaker. While setting up the tables, fields and their properties I accidentally hit 'ok' and left the manage database window. I just went back into manage database and kept adding fields, properties etc.

Now when I go into the database, anything I added after that accidental 'ok' selection does not appear. e.g. a contacts table with lots of fields is in the manage database window but does not appear in the database layout list. Any idea how I can get everything that appears in the manage database window to appear in the database?

Any help much appreciated!

C

• 1. Re: Add table to existing database
          mrvodka

When you create a brand new table, FileMaker will create a new a new layout for you with all the fields. After it is created though, it will not automatically add those fields to the layout unless you are ON the layout  of a TO for the table that you want to add the fields for and you have the option under the Preferences tab to add newly defined fields to the current layout. Edit Menu --> Preferences --> Layout

• 2. Re: Add table to existing database
            catthedog04

Hi Mr Vodka,

Reading back over my original post i dont think i explained myself very well! What has happened me is that tables 1, 2 and 3 were created before i accidentally hit ok and left the manage database window, then i went back in to manage database and created a 4th table but this is nowhere to be seen in any of the layouts. 1, 2 and 3 are there alright but no 4. so table 4 is in the manage database list of tables but it seems like no layout was created for it. Hope that makes some sense and that you might know how to fix it!

C

• 3. Re: Add table to existing database
              catthedog04

Sorry about that, I am after realising what the problem was! Somehow the name of the table changes from 'contacts' to 'supplier'. i don't remember doing that but i doubt the programme would do it by itself! thanks anyway

• 4. Re: Add table to existing database
                philmodjunk

Somehow the name of the table changes from 'contacts' to 'supplier'.

That's pretty easy to do by accident on the Tables tab in Manage | Database. All you have to do is enter a new table name and click "change" instead of "create". :smileywink: