AnsweredAssumed Answered

add to value list

Question asked by m10muhammad on Aug 4, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 by DavidLuscombe

Title

add to value list

one table in my database includes two fields with value lists, manufacturer and model, where the latter depends on the former (i.e. the value list i get to choose from for model depends on the value i selected from the manufacturer list).

sometimes, however, a new model comes out that is not on the pre-defined value list. i am wondering if it is possible that when i type in a model that is not on the value list, it would then add itself to the values for the value list.

for example, if manufacturer is Heidelberg, i would get choices GTO50, GTO52, and GTO54 on my model value list. however a new model GTO56 came out, which is not on the value list. normally i would have to go to the table where i entered the model values, and add GTO56 along with the foreign key for manufacturer Heidelberg. 

what i want to do is that when i override the value list and type in GTO56, it would then add itself to the value list so that the next time i select heidelberg as the manufacturer, i would have the option of selecting GTO56 as the model.

please advise, thanks. 

Outcomes