AnsweredAssumed Answered

adding "packages" to my database

Question asked by gizmocreative on Nov 25, 2010
Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 by FentonJones

Title

adding "packages" to my database

Hi There, 

Im a relatively new user of filemaker and have found it a great and rewarding software and have built a fairly robust database from scratch to run my boss's business. I have a relatively simple setup of tables that from parent to child go:

customers -> Orders -> Invoices -> line items <- products

so the jobs is basically a hub for everything going on with a customer order (artwork requests, follw up calls etc.) the invoice is where the products get chosen that get added to the line items table. The invoice is basically a populated portal. My boss was happy with this and i explained why it is a good, but now he wants package deals to be added, so a collection of products. do i figure out how to auto-populate the portal or do i make something between line items and invoices that has every product, but also different package possibilities too? the other thing is tht package deals are only ever really a template as products need to be added or subtracted from the invoice, so it really is just an easy way to populate the portal with a number of different products for a number of different package options.

I dont need my hand held on this one and dont want to put anyone out, just any ideas to help me on the way would be more than appreciated

cheers

Outcomes