1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 4:47 PM by philmodjunk

Adding a barcode for customer name (FMP 11)

SeanBrannon

Title

Adding a barcode for customer name (FMP 11)

Hey guys.  I am trying to add barcodes to our customer db.  What I want to do is have a barcode generated with the customer name so that I can scan it into our FedEx software.  This will keep me from having to type in the info and save a little bit of time.  I'm not sure if anyone has done this before or if anyone can help.  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Adding a barcode for customer name (FMP 11)
          philmodjunk

A bar code is essentially just another font that you install on your database and use to format a field on a layout for printing out bar codes. The specific bar code that you choose to use, though, could have additional requirements. One type needs to add an asterisk before and after the other text encoded and some compute a "check digit". So you'll need to research those type of details to make sure that you properly handle them as well as installing the bar code font.

And if you want to use a USB type bar code scanner with FileMaker, this thread may be of interest: Need help writing script to integrate barcode scanning

And I've been playing around with scanning Bar codes into FileMaker GO on my iPhone. That uses different methods than those discussed in the above thread, but can work pretty well as long as you stay within the limits of what the device's camera can do.