10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2008 12:41 PM by marglar

adding a check box to control what records are displayed

marglar

Title

adding a check box to control what records are displayed

Ok, so I'm BRAND NEW and am just learning filemaker pro 9 on the mac.

I have a portal displaying data from another table in my form.

In that I have a record that is radio buttons for "yes" and "no".  

I would like to add a check box somewhere that if checked will only show the records in the portal that are "no" and hide any records with a "yes" value.

Could someone give me a shove in the right direction?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
          davidhead

OK, I don't know exactly what tables and fields you are working with so I will make up a scenario and you should be able to apply it to your situation.

Table: COMPANY

Field: ID (auto-entered serial number)

Table: STAFF

Field: ID (auto-entered serial number)

Field: ID_company (number)
          Field: currentStaff (text) - Yes or No 

Relationship graph you have one table occurrence (TO) for each table. They would currently be linked with a relationship:

COMPANY::ID = STAFF::ID_company

So the STAFF portal displayed on the COMPANY layout shows all staff related to that company.

That is what you have so far. This is what you need:

New field - COMPANY::constantYes - calculation, text  = "Yes"
          New TO - based on STAFF table called company_ STAFF__currentstaff 

Link new TO to the existing COMPANY TO as follows:

COMPANY::ID = STAFF::ID_company
           AND
          COMPANY::constantYes = STAFF::currentStaff

A portal on the COMPANY layout using the new TO will now show only staff for that company who are current.

Simple? It would be SO much easier to be able post a sample file! But the forum won't allow it.

• 2. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
            marglar

sorry for the delays in writing back. Its been hectic.

what I'm trying to make is a database of sales leads.  

So, my main table is the contact info.

The related table is "To Do's" - a list of action items to take in regards to this potential client.  In that table is a field for "completed" - which has "True" put into it if the action has been completed.

In my form, To-Dos are displayed via a portal.  The "completed" field is handled by a check box.  So, I check the box if the item is completed.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have on the form a selector to allow me to decide if I wish to display items that have been completed or not.   I'm simply not sure how to affect a filtering of these.

Any help would be most appreciated!

• 3. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
              Biveroni

Thank you for this interesting example. But I miss what TO means, to understand really.

Kind regards, Jon

• 4. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
                marglar

"To Do" means things To be Done.  Its a list of things that need to be completed in regards to that particular contact/lead.

• 5. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
                  davidanders

Several Years Ago.

I set up a contacts database with five small icons that could be white, green, yellow and red.

The basic fields were five number fields that could be 0,1,2,3

Container fields were calculations that would display white, green, yellow and red graphic globals depending on the number fields.

The container fields, on data entry layouts, were buttons that connected to scripts that would increment the number fields by one and reset to zero.

I set up copies of the container fields, on list view layouts, that connected to scripts that do searches on one or more of the container fields to find specific sets of records.

It works very well.

• 6. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
                    Biveroni
                       Sorry, my question was related to the example of 'uLearnIT': The word TO (capital letters, not 'to do' of your example. Regards, Jon
                    • 7. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
                      marglar

Can anyone help me out with my original question?  

I would LOVE to have a control in my form that allows me to choose whether to show or not show records in my portal based on if the contents of a specific field has "true" set in it or not.

Any help?  I'm sure its simple, I'm just not a programer. 

• 8. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
                        davidhead

Biveroni wrote:
                        Sorry, my question was related to the example of 'uLearnIT': The word TO (capital letters, not 'to do' of your example. Regards, Jon
                        TO is a table occurrence. This is the box that you see in the FileMaker relationship graph when you go to File > Manage > Database...
                        TOs are used to establish relationships between tables. Because you can have more than one TO for each actual table, they are called table occurrences. 

• 9. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
                          davidhead

marglar wrote:

Can anyone help me out with my original question?  

Any help?  I'm sure its simple, I'm just not a programer. 

Hi marglar
                          Are you having difficulties implementing my instructions?
                          If so, what part do you need help with? 

• 10. Re: adding a check box to control what records are displayed
                            marglar

I'm not really seeing how it will help me with what I'm trying to do.  Perhaps I'm just missing it.

What I would really like is a control, like a check box, to enable or disable the display of records with the value of "true".

In my example, this would enable or disable the display of "to do" items that were marked as completed.

Any chance of an example like that?

Thanks for the help!