AnsweredAssumed Answered

Adding a data source path to find the database

Question asked by JackM on Mar 6, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 by davidanders

Title

Adding a data source path to find the database

Hello Everyone,

We've got a FMP database that we sell to clients and then host it on FileMaker Server 11 at their office.  To access the database from a workstation, we've created a small FMP database that, when opened from the workstation desktop, an opening script will search the network for the file on FMS and open it. The sole purpose of the file on the desktop is to bypass having to go through File | Open Remote etc.

Sometimes when an end-user opens up the file from the desktop the hosted database cannot be found and the error message "The file <file name> could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host."

I would like to modify the opening script so that this error message can be captured. In doing so, I can then direct the script to open up a dialog box that will prompt the user to enter the ip address of the server that the database is hosted on. Once they enter the ip address it will then add a file path to the Data Source (File | Manage... | External Data Sources) which would then connect and open up the database.

Anyway, this is the vision I have, though any suggestions on how I should go about doing this would help.

One thing I will most likely need is the error code when the error message is displayed. I thought it might be 802 but I'm not sure this is the one.

Thanks.

FMP_error_message.jpg

Outcomes