1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 10:27 PM by davidanders

Adding a data source path to find the database

JackM

Title

Adding a data source path to find the database

Hello Everyone,

We've got a FMP database that we sell to clients and then host it on FileMaker Server 11 at their office.  To access the database from a workstation, we've created a small FMP database that, when opened from the workstation desktop, an opening script will search the network for the file on FMS and open it. The sole purpose of the file on the desktop is to bypass having to go through File | Open Remote etc.

Sometimes when an end-user opens up the file from the desktop the hosted database cannot be found and the error message "The file <file name> could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host."

I would like to modify the opening script so that this error message can be captured. In doing so, I can then direct the script to open up a dialog box that will prompt the user to enter the ip address of the server that the database is hosted on. Once they enter the ip address it will then add a file path to the Data Source (File | Manage... | External Data Sources) which would then connect and open up the database.

Anyway, this is the vision I have, though any suggestions on how I should go about doing this would help.

One thing I will most likely need is the error code when the error message is displayed. I thought it might be 802 but I'm not sure this is the one.

Thanks.

FMP_error_message.jpg

• 1. Re: Adding a data source path to find the database
          davidanders

http://www.topitproviders.net/index.php/2009/10/05/how-to-quickly-link-to-your-hosted-filemaker-databases/

Manually connecting to a remotely hosted database from FileMaker Pro can be a daunting task for new users, so FileMaker offers a couple of features to simplify this process for both users and developers: Send Link and the FileMaker Quick Start Screen.

Introduced in FileMaker 9, the Send Link option on the File menu will automatically create an email draft in your default email client with a URL link to the currently open hosted database along with a list of requirements that must be met to log in to the database. As long as those requirements are met, the email recipient can simply click on the link in the email body and the database will launch. If you are working on the same network as the hosted database, these requirements shouldn’t be an issue.

FileMaker Send Link Email

Developers can take the URL link one step further by creating a link file that can be distributed to users and saved for future use. The user can store the link file on a desktop, or other preferred location on the hard drive, and simply double-click it to launch the file. To create the link file, simply copy and paste the link from the email body into the address bar in your web browser. Before pressing enter, click and drag the favicon (the small icon at the beginning of the address bar in your browser) to your desktop. A link to the FileMaker file will be automatically created and can be distributed through any appropriate channel. FileMaker link files created on a Windows computer using Internet Explorer will work on both Mac OSX and Windows, but link files created on a Mac using Safari will only work on a Mac.

Favicon

The Quick Start Screen offers another way to easily reconnect to FileMaker databases. After you have opened a hosted database, it will appear in the Recent Files list on the FileMaker Quick Start Screen when FileMaker Pro 10 is launched. Users can save any of the Recent Files to their Favorites lists by highlighting the file, and then clicking the Add to Favorites button. Hosted databases that are saved as favorites will appear in the Favorite Files (remote) list.

If the Quick Start screen does not appear when FileMaker Pro 10 is launched, select Preferences from the FileMaker Pro menu (Mac) or from the Edit menu (Windows). Check the “Show FileMaker Quick Start Screen” check box and it will appear the next time FileMaker Pro is launched. To access the Quick Start Screen while already working in FileMaker Pro, select the New Database option from the File menu.