13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2009 4:29 PM by comment_1

Adding a dot to a map to show item location

WillGonz

Title

Adding a dot to a map to show item location

I am new to Filemaker Pro. I am doing an inventory database and I thought it would be cool to have a map of our building and have a dot show where an item is located.  I could do maps with dots added already but that would quickly eat up space in the database.  It would be better to have a picture and be able to move around a dot and store its x/y cords instead.

Thanks,

William 

• 1. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
          philmodjunk

Place a small transparent field on top of each room in your map. Use a script, calculation or relationship to put your dot in the desired field.

You could use text fields and put a period in it. (Make the font size large and bold). Or put a graphic in a container field and make the fields calculations that refer to the container field.

• 2. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
            raybaudi

A period is a square...

You can put some bullet texts over the map and conditionally format each one to have a red font color and size 72 or white font color and size 1.

( no field involved, only text objects )
            • 3. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
              WillGonz

But would it save per record or be the same for all forms?  Wouldn't I also have to go into design mode for each one?

• 4. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                raybaudi

How many dots do you think to place over the map ?
                One for each room ?
                Each record of your DB is an item of your inventory ?

WillGonz wrote:

Wouldn't I also have to go into design mode for each one?

Only once.

• 5. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                  philmodjunk

You haven't spelled out the structure of your database nor what conditions transpire that you want to mark with your dot, (thanks for the bullet idea Daniele!). That keeps us from describing a specific method for placing the "dot" in a specific field above it's matching portion of the map.

Tell us more and we'll be able to give you more specifics.

• 6. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                    WillGonz
                       Some items are in the same room.  Some items are in different rooms.  So basically I need a DOT. That I would overlay on a Map of the building.  When you look at an item in your inventory list it will show where that item is.  If you move the item then you would move the dot.  The dot's location in the database could be stored in X Y coordinates.
                    • 7. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                      philmodjunk

That doesn't tell me a thing about how you've stored the data or structured your tables and relationships.

"When you look at an item in your inventory list.."

Is done... how?

I can imagine multiple methods to "look at an item", but don't choose to guess.

Some questions to get you started:

What tables to you have?

Is your layout a list view with the map in the header?

Is it form view with a portal showing inventory items in the portal with the map alongside?

Or is it something else?

I don't think x-y coordinates will be necessary. You probably have a field that represents a room number. You can use that in a calculation field so that one specific field shows the dot for that room.

• 8. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                        WillGonz

I am using the Asset Template.  I have no data entered and I am starting for scratch.

• 9. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                          philmodjunk

Since I don't have the asset template, I remain in the dark as to what exactly you have set up here.

That prevents me from offering anything but a very general description of the solution that I have already posted.

The design details in your database are critical.

Do you have a room number field that identifies the location of each asset?

Are all the assets in a single building (which means we always have the same map to work with)?

The x-y coordinate method could be implemented but it's a lot of work. On the other hand it would allow you to display multiple maps and still place a dot in the desired location.

• 10. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                            WillGonz

I have no room numbers.  Assets are on two floors.  Each floor is a different map.  X-Y coordinates would be best I think.  

Another Example 

Let's say you wanted a database on where all your sales offices are all around the world.

You would drop in a world map.  But when you select your England Office you would like a dot to display where it is.

Or lets say you have multiple sales offices all throughout the USA.  You pick a sales rep and a map of the USA shows the states that rep manages.  You would use the same map of the whole US for everyone but as you pick different people the dot will move around.

• 11. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                              philmodjunk

The same technique will work for a world map as well. It's just nearly impossible to give you step by step instructions without knowing how your tables, relationships and layouts are designed.

A general description of the x-y method that I can conceive of which will also show you why I say "it's a lot of work":

You'd need a grid of transparent fields to place on top of your map. Each field would be like one square of graph paper and you'd need literally hundreds of these. You can reduce the effort somewhat if you place all these fields in a related table where one record = 1 row of y positions for your map. You'd then place a transparent portal with the same number of rows as you have possible x values.

All this just to put a dot at the correct x-y position.

It just doesn't seem worth the trouble to me.

• 12. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                                WillGonz

Would be a cool feature for Filemaker 11.  Drop an image and then drag around an indicator to point out a location.  Indicators locations save in the table.

• 13. Re: Adding a dot to a map to show item location
                                  comment_1
                                     If you have offices in London, New York and Los Angeles, then all you need is to place three dots on the map and set them to light up when the current item's location matches the dot's location. I don't quite see how the ability to light up a dot over the Atlantic Ocean would be useful here - though I believe it could be done using the web viewer.