5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2009 3:39 PM by Jade

Adding a field to another one, depending on its status

PatrickHolzer

Title

Adding a field to another one, depending on its status

Hi,

I have a field called current_stock which displays the quantity of a specific product that we currently have on stock.

I have a table called "Inbound Orders" (which handles what we order from the manufacturer in order to sell it to customers); this table contains - among others - two fields: inbound_order_quantity and inbound_order_status.

Question:

How do I add inbound_order_quantity to current_stock if the status of inbound_order_status changes from "pending" to "completed" - because if it is "completed", that means we have received the goods and have taken them on stock - ?

Thank you!

- Patrick

• 1. Re: Adding a field to another one, depending on its status
          Orlando

Hi Patrick

Which version of FileMaker are you using?

If you are using FileMaker 10, you could setup a Script Trigger on you inbound_order_status field that will perform a script doing the following

If [ inbound_order_status = "Completed" ]
          Set Field [ current_stock current_stock + inbound_order_quantity ]
          End If 

This will then add the two quantities together for you only if the status is "Completed"

To set a Script Trigger, in Layout Mode select your field and go: 'Format > Set Script Trigger...' and OnObjectModify is probably the best one for the job, or OnObjectExit, and I would also suggest the field be a pop-up menu of radio button field, if not already.

Hope this helps 

• 2. Re: Adding a field to another one, depending on its status
            PatrickHolzer

Hi Orlando,

Thanks very much - works perfectly!

And yes, I'm using FM 10

- Patrick

• 3. Re: Adding a field to another one, depending on its status
              Jade
                 …And what happens if the user accidentally selects status "Completed" a second time?
              • 4. Re: Adding a field to another one, depending on its status
                Orlando

Hi Jade,

I suppose that would all depend on how the record is treated after it has been marked as "Completed" and whether or not it is locked down and made read-only.

Which can be done any number of ways. Using Account & Privileges to lock the record.

An OnObjectEnter Trigger applied to the field that runs a script to stop the user being able to enter into the 'inbound_order_status' field if it is marked as complete.

Or the user views completed records on a different layout that does not allow data entry into that or any field for the record.

Let me know if you want more detail on any of the options. 

• 5. Re: Adding a field to another one, depending on its status
                  Jade

Hi Orlando,

Thanks for your analysis.

Having worked with OE systems for some time (decades), I have learned that a lot can happen here.  (User completes the wrong order-item; customer cancels the order; customer changes the ordered quantity; order is shorted; portion of ordered quantity is cross-shipped to a higher priority customer; etc., etc.)

Locking down the record is probably too restrictive depending on how robust the design requirements are.

I suggest updating a new field (quantity completed) when the status is changed to completed so that it can be backed out (reversed) if need be.

Jade