4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 5:53 AM by philmodjunk

Adding a new Holiday for all Staff

philmcgeehan

Title

Adding a new Holiday for all Staff

Hello.

I'm designing a new database to do with Employees, and lots of new features are getting added all the time!

My company shuts down for a few days over Christmas every year; however, this time is taken out of the employees allocated holidays. So I want to be able to enter a start date and an end date of the break as well as a description, that will get added as a record to every employees holiday table.

At the moment I have the tables:

Staff                                           Staff Holidays
                          __kp_StaffID                     ←1 to many→                     _kf_StaffID
                          Name                                           DateStart
                          ...                                           DateEnd
                          ...                                           Description

it already works out the number of working days and subtracts any public holidays between the dates.

So I just want to know if anyone can suggest the best way of proceeding with this?

I think it'll need some kind of loop through all of the staff, but, if anyone has done anything like this before, I would be most appreciative of your help.

Many thanks,
           Phil

• 1. Re: Adding a new Holiday for all Staff
          philmodjunk

You can set up a layout with global fields for DateStart, DateEnd and Description. Then a script can go to a layout for Staff and use a loop to create one such record in staff holidays for each staff member. The script can flip back and forth between layouts for Staff and Staff holidays. Staff has the found set of records that you are looping through and Staff Holidays is where the script changes to in order to create the new record. The script can include set field steps that copy the data out of the global fields and into the corresponding fields in Staff Holidays.

• 2. Re: Adding a new Holiday for all Staff
            philmcgeehan

Excellent—it works really well!

Thanks very much smiley

I might post my code here later, for anyone else interested.

• 3. Re: Adding a new Holiday for all Staff
              philmcgeehan

Ok, so I have a layout called Admin, with some settings, etc. on it.
                   This is where I put the new global fields and a button to start the following script.

Show Custom Dialog ["Are you sure? blah blah blah"]
              If[Get ( LastMessageChoice ) = 1]
                  Set Variable [$Desc; Value:Admin::Description]
                  Set Variable [$Start; Value:Admin::DateStart]
                  Set Variable [$End; Value:Admin::DateEnd]
                  Go to Layout ["Staff Details"] (Staff)]
                  Show All Records
                  #THIS FIND JUST LOOKS FOR ACTIVE EMPLOYEES
                  Perform Find [Restore]
                  Go to Record/Request/Page [First]
                  Loop
                      #IT'S IMPORTANT TO GO TO THE PORTAL OTHERWISE I'LL JUST BE CREATING NEW EMPLOYEES
                      Go to Object [Object Name: "StaffHolidayPortal"]
                      Go to Portal Row [Select; Last]
                      Set Field [StaffHolidays::Description; $Desc]
                      Set Field [StaffHolidays::DateStart; $Start]
                      Set Field [StaffHolidays::DateEnd; $End]
                      Commit Records/Requests []
                      Go to Record/Request/Page [Next; Exit after last]
                  End Loop
              End If
              • 4. Re: Adding a new Holiday for all Staff
                philmodjunk

Not quite what I suggested. My outline would have the script using go to layout to go to a layout based on staff holiday to create the new record, then switches back to the Staff layout to go to the next record and continue the loop.

What you have works, but I prefer not to loop through portal rows if at all possible in a script. Later changes to the layout could result in such a script breaking. The method of switching back and forth between layouts, is a few percentage points less vulnerable to such issues.