6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 3:19 PM by David40

Adding a Picture

David40

Title

Adding a Picture

I am running FMP 9 on an iMac computer (Snow Leopard).

I have a database with customer names as a field.  I would like to tie a picture of the customer to the name.  How do I do this so that every time I create a new record, the customer's picture is automatically added?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

• 1. Re: Adding a Picture
          philmodjunk

Pictures would be stored in a container field. If you define a container field in the customer table, you can insert a picture for each customer in that table.

• 2. Re: Adding a Picture
            David40

Thank you for the prompt reply!

I am confused.  I created a container field in the customer table.  How do I link it with the customer name?  In the past when I tried this, the customer picture appeared only once for one record.  I know I am missing something in what your are suggesting.  I apologize.

Dave 

• 3. Re: Adding a Picture
              philmodjunk

If it is in the same record, it is already linked by customer name.

Can you describe your database in more detail. Perhaps you have a layout based on a different table than customer and you want the picture to appear when you select a customer in a drop down or other type of value list formatted field?

• 4. Re: Adding a Picture
                David40

Thank you again!

The table and the input record screen are very generic.  There is only one table.  I use several value lists with drop-down menus to expedite data entry.  Before asking my question, I added a field called "clientpix" and defined it as a container field.  When I enter the client's name (from a drop-down menu), I would like their picture to appear.

If I understand you correctly, once I do this, then the picture should appear ever ytime I enter the client's name ... or not.

Dave

• 5. Re: Adding a Picture
                  philmodjunk

Don't see why you are doing this all from one table. This sounds like you should have two tables linked in a relationship by CustomerID. The customer table would store the name, picture and any other information unique to that one customer.

In your second table, you'd store the other information. I don't know what that information might be as you haven't told me. Perhaps these are sales invoices?

With this relationship:

Invoices::CustomerID = Customers::CustomerID

Your drop down can be for the Invoices::CustomerID field set to display a list of customer IDs and names and you can add the container field from Customers directly to the Invoices layout. With that set up, selecting a Customer in the drop down will allow the customer's picture to appear. You can add other fields from the Customers table to work the same way such as displaying a full name or a shipping address.

• 6. Re: Adding a Picture
                    David40

Thank you!  Sometimes I get too far in the box and I lose perspective.