2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2012 5:41 AM by mashikoboy

Adding an honorific title to follow a name field

mashikoboy

Title

Adding an honorific title to follow a name field

I am setting up a layout for an envelope.

The last line is for the name of the recipient.

It is necessary for me to attach an honorific title (様) to the right of this field (same line of course).  It would correspond to "Mr." or "Ms." if it were English text.

This character must always slide, if necessary, in order to follow at the end of the name field (as indicated by the red square), and it must not be separated from the end of the field by more than one space.

I know the procedure is simple, and have done this before, but I forgot how I did it (how embarrassing!).   Can someone please show me how to set this up? 

I'm working against a deadline, and would appreciate some advice regarding this issue.

envelope.png

• 1. Re: Adding an honorific title to follow a name field
          Sprucegum

Do ALL records include an Honorific Title?

Does your text need to align to the Right?

Your example shows text aligned to Left.

IF this is correct:

• In Layout Mode, enter the cursor to the right of <<PrintName>>

• Enter a space, then insert the <<HonorificTitle>> merge field.

• Result should look like: <<PrintName>> <<HonorificTitle>>

IF your text should be aligned to Right and/or some records do NOT include an honorific title,

THEN you might create a Calculation Field that may be merged on the Print Layout instead of <<PrintName>>.

In English (Left to Right), for example, we might use the following calculation to avoid any unnecessary spaces preceding <<PrintName>> (in the event no Prefix data is available):

• TitleName = If ( IsEmpty ( HonorificTitle ); “”; HonorificTitle & “ “ ) & PrintName

• Merge field on Print Layout should look like: <<TitleName>>

• 2. Re: Adding an honorific title to follow a name field
            mashikoboy

In Japan, an honorific title is used when addressing anyone at almost any time.

My text fields are intentionally aligned to the Left.

I followed your instructions, and the results were perfect.

You've saved the day for me, and I appreciate your help very much!