3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 2:28 PM by philmodjunk

Adding character to a field

wheymans

Title

Adding character to a field

I have a 'e-mail'-field (text) on a layout. It should have a ;-character at the end when someone types an e-mail. How can check - with a script i suppose - if this character is there and if it's not, add it.

Ciao,

Wim

• 1. Re: Adding character to a field
          philmodjunk

Why is the delimiter character a required character for this field? That seems odd. Or will the user need to add additional emails in a list separated by ; characters?

If it's just a single email permitted in the field, a very simple validation calculation can check for this character and no scripting is involved.

The calculation on the validation tab in field options might be:

Right ( Self ; 1 ) = ";"

But this seems an unusual thing to require as part of the data entry.

You can also set up an auto-enter calculation in place of this validation option that automatically adds this character if it has been omitted.

• 2. Re: Adding character to a field
            wheymans

Sometimes thers a ;-character in the text-field, sometimes there's not. Now and then i want to make an e-mail lists-and then the ";" is needed. So i just need a way to see if it's there or not, and if it's not it should be added.

Hope there's a solution.

• 3. Re: Adding character to a field
              philmodjunk

I recommend that you not include this character in your email address fields as it is not part of the person's email address. Add the delmitter character in only when producing a list of emails, not as a character in every individual email address field.

But I have already provided a validation calculation that detects the absence of this character and displays an error message in my first post.