3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2013 10:33 PM by philmodjunk

Adding Comments Field to Drop Down List

AmyMarshall

Title

Adding Comments Field to Drop Down List

Hi

I am new to FileMaker. I am creating a form for people to use out in the field. I have a drop down list in the form that has these three options: 1) Good 2) Fair 3) Attention Required

Is there anyway to do the following:

- If 3) Attention Required is selected a comments field appears and the user has to enter a comment.

- If 1) or 2) are selected then the comments field doesnt appear.

I know how to created a drop down list, just not sure how to add the comment

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adding Comments Field to Drop Down List
          philmodjunk

There are multiple ways to do that off the OnObjectSave script trigger.

Your script could use show custom dialog with an input field to ask for the comment.

Your Script could use go to object to pop the second panel of an invisible tab control to the front. If your comments field is in that second tab panel, it will seem to appear automatically when you exit the field with a the 3rd value selected.

Your script performed by that script trigter would look like this:

If [YourTable::YourDropDownField  = "attention required" // third value was chosen in this field ]
                 Show Custom Dialog ["Please enter an explanation..." ]

or (use one of these two options here.)

Go to Object ["HiddenPanelObjectNameHere" ]
               End IF

• 2. Re: Adding Comments Field to Drop Down List
            AmyMarshall

Thanks PhilModJunk

I have tried to run the script, but I dont have much experience with this. What should I put in the place of Show Custom Dialog, as I get the following error when i run my script

• 3. Re: Adding Comments Field to Drop Down List
              philmodjunk

These are not terms to put in a calculation, they are script steps to add to a script created in Manage Scripts.