4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2008 3:29 AM by Lonny

Adding customer ID

Lonny

Title

Adding customer ID

<!--   / icon and title   --><!--   message   -->My database includes a table with a list of business contacts that are potential customers. In the table I have included a "customer ID" field which is currently empy. I would like to be able, whenever a deal is done, to assign a customer ID to my contacts using the auto-serial function.

Ideally I would have a button saying "assign customer ID" and a new serial would be assigned at the press of that button, otherwise the field stays empy. Is it possible?
      Thanks
      <!--   / message   --><!--   controls   -->

• 1. Re: Adding customer ID
          raybaudi

Hi Lonny

"Ideally I would have a button saying "assign customer ID" and a new serial would be assigned at the press of that button, otherwise the field stays empy."

This isn't a good idea...

There is no reason why it must be, sometimes, empty.

The Customer ID is the primary key of a ( even potential ) relatioship and MUST be setted by format the option of auto-enter serial number for that field.

To insert a serial now, do so:

1) Go to field definition and set the option of that field to auto-enter a serial number startin from 1 step 1
          2) In Browse mode show ALL records.
          3) Put the cursor into that field
          4) From menu Records >> Replace Field Contents... >> Replace with serial numbers >> Initial value 1 , Increment by 1 ; Check the box: Update serial number in Entry Options >> Replace

That is ALL for now and forever.

• 2. Re: Adding customer ID
            Lonny

Hi and thanks for the very fast reply!

I see your point about assigning an ID to all contacts, but in this way I will not be able to separate actual customers from potential ones.

Probably it could be done adding one more record: "customer YES/NO", but then I would not be able to count the actual customers just by looking at the serial...

• 3. Re: Adding customer ID
              raybaudi

A potential customer is now in that state, but can change its state tomorrow.

So the right way is to create a new field, as you said.

That way you'll be able to easy count actual or potential customer.

( and the DB will be "normalised" )

BTW: customer is the people who buys something and, in a related table, there will be an invoice. So it's possible to even NOT create a new field.

• 4. Re: Adding customer ID
                Lonny

Yes, the invoice module is up and running!  :smileywink:

One more thing: in my contact list I have different people working at the same company.

The customer ID would have to be related to the company not to the single employee...