2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2009 12:17 PM by brownriver

adding fields, deleting tables

brownriver

Title

adding fields, deleting tables

From a total newbie, a couple of questions that seem to be related:

Using manage database, I created two tables. In table A, I created a handful of text fields. In table B, I also created some text fields (with different names from those in table A).

While looking a Table A in the browse mode, I decided two things: I didn't need Table B, and I would add new fields to Table A. 

*In the Manage Database Window, on the fields list for Table A, I created two new text fields.

BUT: these new fields do not appear in any of the modes (browse, layout, etc). They don't appear when I click on New Record. I can only see them in the Manage Database window, in the field list for Table A. 

*I then tried to delete Table B. Again, in the Manage Database window, under the tables tab, I clicked on Table B and hit the delete button. Table B disappeared from the list. 

BUT: The table is still in there somewhere; when i click on the edit layout button, for example, it is still in the drop-down list of tables i can edit. And if I choose it in the browse mode, I see all of the field names I originally had in Table B, each one with <Table Missing> in the field itself.

So now I have a table I don't want, and I don't have fields that I do want. None of this changes after restarting the program.

*Finally, FM automatically gives the first table of my database the same name as the database itself. Can I change the name of this table without messing everything else up?

I'm certain that there's some very basic step I've missed in all of this, especially given that adding new fields after the fact seems like such a totally basic feature....but its driving me amok!

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: adding fields, deleting tables
          mrvodka

Here are some responses to your questions.

1. When creating a new table, it should create a new layout for you as well as the fields that you created. However, once you have created the initial table, any new fields that you create can be put on the layout automatically if first you have the option turned on and second if you are in layout mode on a layout that is based on a table occurrence of that base table. If you want to put fields on a layout which are not currently on there, you can choose your field tool and drag it to the layout. It will prompt you for which specific field.

2. Staying on the subject of table occurrences, a layout is based off a table occurrence. A table occurrence is based off a table. Simply deleting the table does not delete the table occurrence on the graph ( unless you choose that option when prompted ). Furthermore, deleting a table occurrence does not delete a layout. You have to delete the layout manually.

3. FileMaker by default does name the first table the same as your file name. You can rename this table if you wish as FileMaker uses its own ID system in the backend.

• 2. Re: adding fields, deleting tables
            brownriver

Thanks!

What you've said makes sense; I need to spend more time futzing around with the program. This is my first try at my own solution after going through an inventory-tracking mock db tutorial. 

br