5 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 2:48 PM by philmodjunk

Adding multiple files to a record

bbry

Title

Adding multiple files to a record

I have a bunch of SOP's in PDF format that I would like to add to the appropriate records.  Not all of my records have SOP files that need to be added, just some of them.  The ones that do, have about 15 or so (depending on the record) that I would like to have linked to the record.  The only way I know of to attach PDF files is through a container field.  What I'm wondering is if there is any way to add multiple PDF files to one container field, or if I will need to make 15+ container fields for each record, with one PDF in each field.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Adding multiple files to a record
          raybaudi

All you really need is a SOP's table, related to your Main table.

So that each SOP's record has an unique Id, an unique container field and a key field to be related to your Main table.

• 2. Re: Adding multiple files to a record
            bbry

So in the SOP table, the fields would just be a container field for the PDF file, and the name of the corresponding record?  I have multiple SOP's for certain records so would I just need to make multiple container fields?

• 3. Re: Adding multiple files to a record
              mgores

The SOP table would have an ID field that matches it to the record in your main table (RecordID) and the container field.  You can then set up a portal based on the relationship MainTable::RecordID = SOP::RecordID.  In the relationship, select allow creation of records on the SOP side.  As you add your pdf into each record it is stored along the RecordID field which links it to the record in the main table.  That way as you scroll through your main table records on a layout, the portal will show only those SOP files that are associated with it by RecordID.

• 4. Re: Adding multiple files to a record
                aammondd

no you would need just the field to link the tables by and a container field (and possibly an autoentry serial number for records on this table[always a good idea])

You would create SOP new records the auto entry field would create a unique number the linked field would need to be updated (this could be done via a portal and a relationship so its automatic as well) and you attach your PDF to the container field. Each one in a new SOP record

• 5. Re: Adding multiple files to a record
                  philmodjunk

You might want to look up "portal" in FileMaker help as this is a very useful tool in fileMaker for working with a set of related records such as this table that Raybaudi and Aammondd have both recommended to you. You can put that portal on your SOP layout and use it to list all your document records for that SOP.