7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 9:39 PM by xtremu

Adding New Account using script

xtremu

Title

Adding New Account using script

Hi guys,

File>Manage>Security>New is not the solution that I need here. I have account with (Full Access) and accounts with privilege set (Data Entry Only) and (Read Only Access). 

Is there any way/s here to create new account using a script if you are in the KIOSK mood? Let say, I log In with full access and i want to have a button with a script to allow me create new account of a new user/s..

I try to browse any help here in Filemaker forum but unfortunately I can't find it.. please help..

xtremu 

• 1. Re: Adding New Account using script
          JonJ

I've not tried it in Kiosk mode, but doesn't the script-step 'Add Account' work, if you run the script with full access privileges?

• 2. Re: Adding New Account using script
            xtremu

JonJ, Yes doesn't run, I tried simple script like this: 

1. Create button> add script ADD ACCOUNT>click specify>in Account name=myaccount, in Password=mypassword, privilege set=Data Entry Only and then OK. when I click that button it created ACCOUNT myaccount  and when i click it again it said that Name already used, please provide unique name..

I want to have a script to enter in dialog box with account name and password fields, and when i hit the enter key it will inform you that you are successfully created new account and you can create many account as you can. That's it JonJ. Hope you can help me solve on this issue..

Best regards,

xtremu

• 3. Re: Adding New Account using script
              philmodjunk

If you set up fields so that you can specify the account name, password and privilege set, there are script steps under the accounts category that can be run to create or modify accounts. As JonJ indicates, these scripts can be set to run with full access privileges so the user put in charge of managing the database does not have to have a full access account in order to do this.

• 4. Re: Adding New Account using script
                JonJ

I agree, you should use some fields to gather the proposed new account name and password, and then create it with the script step.

• 5. Re: Adding New Account using script
                  xtremu

Hi guys,

I don't know how to set up this, what are the fields I need to create. Please give a steps how to do that.. 

thanks..

• 6. Re: Adding New Account using script
                    philmodjunk

This is not a full step by step description as your security needs may require additional details:

Define a text field, AccountName. Define another named Password.

Put them on a layout or set a script to uses them as input fields in a show custom dialog.

Create a script that takes the user to this layout or that uses the show custom dialog method so that the user can enter an account name and password into the field. Clicking OK continues the script or a button on the layout performs the following script step:

add Account [account name: YourTable::AccountName ; Password: YourTable::Password ; Privilege Set: "Privilege Set Name Here" ]

You can click specify to open a dialog for selecting the options shown in brackets. Click specify next to the account name and password options to get a dialog where you can specify your fields. You'll need to select the privilege set name from a drop down in this dialog.

And make sure that this script is set to run with "full access privileges".

The other scripts are similar.

• 7. Re: Adding New Account using script
                      xtremu

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the big help..

Thanks  PhilModJunk