1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 8:24 AM by philmodjunk

Adding Notes in Different Section of Task Management Starter

jeffw_1

Title

Adding Notes in Different Section of Task Management Starter

I'm a newbie with relational databases and having a heck of a time trying to make what I thought was a simple change.

I'm using FMP 11 and trying to customize included Tasks Management starter solution. I would like to put the Notes tab (from the Contacts tab) in the Tasks tab. I've already removed the existing Personnel tab and "moved" the Notes tab layout there instead. Obviously, all the "hooks" to make it work are now broken and this is where I'm stuck. I've done a side by side comparison of both Notes settings and they appear correct. I've also looked at the Relationships diagram and I can't locate any references to Notes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adding Notes in Different Section of Task Management Starter
          philmodjunk

Note: I edited your post, using the HTML editor to remove the <pre> </pre> tags that were keeping the text from wrapping correctly.

I've also looked at the Relationships diagram and I can't locate any references to Notes.

There's a table occurrence there called "Contact_RelatedNotes"

It has this relationship:

Contacts::K_ID_Contact = Contact_RelatedNotes::K_ID_Contact

The "Tasks Tab" is really a Tasks Layout--designed to look like a tab panel, but you actually click buttons to change layouts instead of clicking tabs in an actual tab control.

It's based on a different table occurrence: Tasks

This creates several problems for you:

1) You'd need to add an occurrence of Notes to Manage | Database | Relationships and link it to Tasks in a Relationship

2) A Task can be linked to any number of different Contacts. The current Notes table is used to make Notes about a specific contact. A Note on the tasks layout could then link to any number of different contacts

Thus, you might consider using the Tables tab in Manage | database to define a new table, TaskNotes so that these notes are separate from your contact notes given the different relationships involved.