4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 10:09 AM by ShawnFitzgerald

Adding Related Table into Layout/Report

ShawnFitzgerald

Title

Adding Related Table into Layout/Report

I am Trying to make a layout or report I am not sure which I want, I have a Master Table with records and I want to Just Display all the information I chose from one Record along with all the Related Information from other tables not using a portal I just want it to display it and if there are Multiple records in the Related table I just want it to display them and make more pages to display them.  This is for a Printing out purpose to be able to show all related records in all related tables without using a Portal which only shows however many records you choose.

• 1. Re: Adding Related Table into Layout/Report
          philmodjunk

And what tables and relationships do you have? They will then determine your options for how to set up the relationships.

If you had several tables in one to many relationships like this:

Table1----<Table2-----<Table3>-----Table4

You can set up a summary report based on Table 3 and still be able to include fields from Tables 1, 2 and 4 on the same layout.

But using a portal may be unavoidable for some other data models. There is a way to make a portal reduce in size to use only the space needed for the number of related records shown in the portal when printing.

• 2. Re: Adding Related Table into Layout/Report
            ShawnFitzgerald

How do you Make the portal only be the size of how many records it has in it? And if you do this will the information lower than it also move up and down acording to how big the portal is?

• 3. Re: Adding Related Table into Layout/Report
              philmodjunk

This only works when you print, preview or save as PDF. You will not see this effect in Browse or Find modes.

Make your portal many extra rows tall. You can't make it expand so err on the side of "to big" rather than risk getting more records than can be seen in the portal.

In Layout mode, select the portal and then select "Slide up" and "resize enclosing part" on the Inspector's position tab.

Any other layout objects--even graphic objects, located below the portal also have to be given these settings in order to remove the unused space when the portal shrinks to just the number of rows needed for the portal.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
              3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
              5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
              7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
              9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
              11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
              13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
              • 4. Re: Adding Related Table into Layout/Report
                ShawnFitzgerald

I don't know if this will be seen or not. I have had a lot of success creating PDFs but I have an Issue because my Portals are so big that it creates Many Blank Pages.  Is there a way so that after all the things have slid up that it only creates as many pages as there is information to put on them so I don't get 15 blank pages on my PDF.