AnsweredAssumed Answered

Adding serial number to lookup field

Question asked by Vernassoc on Aug 21, 2009
Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 by Vernassoc

Title

Adding serial number to lookup field

I am setting up a basic db to record/organize my business's projects over the past 15 years. I need to auto enter unique project IDs by combining the contents of a field that holds the year the project originated, a text character, and a serial number. In other words, the project ID for the first project we did in 2005 would be: "2005-1," the second "2005-2,"and the fifth 2007 project would be "2007-5," etc. Therefore, not only does the ID need to refer to another field and include an additional text character, the serial number component needs to adjust (or reset) each time the year changes.

I have tried a number of the calculations, but they either have simply entered the year, with no text character or serial number, or they increased the year by 1. (E.g., in the example above, the first project was "2005," the second "2006," etc.)

Maybe I should just stick to auto entering a simple serial number, but it would be a big help if I could refer to the project ID to tell how many projects we initiated in a year and in what sequence they arrived.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Outcomes