AnsweredAssumed Answered

Adding symbol to format for text field?

Question asked by pauhana658 on Feb 3, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 by pauhana658

Title

Adding symbol to format for text field?

Thought I had asked this before, but I can't find it in my past posts, so please forgive me if you've seen this before.

I have a text field containing the names of contacts at clients. On invoices and other forms, I need to place "sama" (in kanji, of course) at the end of these names. Since this is only for printing purposes, I don't want to add this superfluous data to the names in the contacts records. I also don't want to simply place it as a text element at the end of the text field on the forms -- the names vary in length and there can be quite a bit of blank space between the name and the "sama" bit and it looks very odd. 

In 4D (forgive me!), I could easily "format" a variable field so that it contained both the data from the field and whatever I wanted as a label. Very handy for things like adding "sama" to a name or "consumption tax" to a number so that the whole thing read as a concatenation of text rather than as separate bits. 

I can't figure out if this is possible in FileMaker Pro. If I have a decimal number, such as 8.0, I can add text (symbol) to it and it will display as "8.0 slp". Can FileMaker Pro do this with standard text in text fields?

Thanks!

Outcomes