5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 8:45 AM by PaulWalker

Adding Tax to Shipping

PaulWalker

Title

Adding Tax to Shipping

Hi

I only started using this program this week and I am trying to set all the information up for my company.

I used a starter solution and most of it is working well but I can't work out how to add tax to shipping.  Can anyone help please

I have gone into manage database and Sales Tax. 

The Sales Tax formula reads

If ( (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) - (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) * Discount Rate))  ≥ 1 ; Round((Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) - (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) * Discount Rate)) * Sales Tax Rate; 2) ; 0)

How do I alter it to include shipping?

Hope you can help

Paul

• 1. Re: Adding Tax to Shipping
          philmodjunk

If ( (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) - (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) * Discount Rate))  ≥ 1 ;
                Round((Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) - (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) * Discount Rate) + Shipping ) * Sales Tax Rate; 2)
                ; 0)

Check the solution you are using for the actual field name to use where the text is bold.

• 2. Re: Adding Tax to Shipping
            PaulWalker

Thanks a lot that has worked a treat.  Your a Star

• 3. Re: Adding Tax to Shipping
              PaulWalker

Hi Thanks again for the fix in the formula, but there is a slight problem.  Not all of our products are taxable and for some orders the only tax will be on shipping.  The formula that you gave me has to have the first product with the tax box ticked, is there a way to have tax on the shipping without any of the products.  Sorry to be a pain, but your help is very much appreciated.

• 4. Re: Adding Tax to Shipping
                philmodjunk

It should still work in that case an compute just the tax on shipping.

What's the purpose of this part of the expression?

Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) - (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) * Discount Rate))  ≥ 1

This is the part of the calculation that returns zero when taxable amounts are also zero and I don't see the purpose for that test. If it produces a negative value, this would seem to be an error where your discount rate would have to be greater than 100%.

I don't see why you can't remove the If function completely and simplify this down to:

Round((Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) - (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) * Discount Rate) + Shipping ) * Sales Tax Rate; 2)

If you do need that first test, you might consider changing the boolean expression so that you have this calculation:

If ( (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) - (Sum ( Line Items::Taxable Amount ) * Discount Rate))  ≥ 0 ;
                      ; 0)

• 5. Re: Adding Tax to Shipping
                  PaulWalker

Thanks for getting back to me.

What I originally pasted is just what was in the formula from the template that was setup by the program.

Very much a beginner with this program, but I will have a look at what you have given me and let you know what happens.

Once again thanks a lot for your time with this, its a great help

Paul