5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 9:27 AM by philmodjunk

Adding to a field the contents of portal rows consecutively

NaturSalus

Title

Adding to a field the contents of portal rows consecutively

Hello,

What I would like to do is to be able to click on the desired rows of a portal and add consecutively their contents to a file.

So, let's assume that I have the following portal with contents in 7 rows.

Row 1:  1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Row 2: 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats 

Rwo 3: 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Row 4: 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

Row 5: 1/2  teaspoon salt

Row 6: 1 cup granulated sugar

Row 7: 2 large eggs

Now, I would like to be able to:

a) either adding the contents of the portal to the Cook::Recipe field

b) or being able to click in each portal row so that the contents are added to the Cook::Recipe field.

whatever it is easier to set up.

Can this be done by scripting?

The usual way to add just the content of a portal row to a field is using the Set Field, List and Substitute script steps

Set Field [Cook::Recipe; Substitute(List Portal::Amount; Portal::Unit; Ingredient::iName); ¶ ; " ")

but every time that the Set Field script step is run it overwrites the Cook::Recipe field.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adding to a field the contents of portal rows consecutively
          philmodjunk

Set Field [Cook::Recipe; Substitute(List Portal::Amount; Portal::Unit; Ingredient::iName); ¶ ; " ")

will work for A) but not B).

Try this code to append the data to data already present in the field:

Set Field [Cook::Recipe; Cook::Recipe & " " & Substitute(List Portal::Amount; Portal::Unit; Ingredient::iName); ¶ ; " ")

Though I question the utility of doing so here....

• 2. Re: Adding to a field the contents of portal rows consecutively
            NaturSalus

Helo Phil,

Thanks for looking into my question.

Set Field [Cook::Recipe; Substitute(List Portal::Amount; Portal::Unit; Ingredient::iName); ¶ ; " ")

will work for A) but not B).

I must be doing something wrong, because when I run the above mentioned script step it just adds the last portal row, not the contents of all the portal rows.

That is the reason why I asked for help about how to append data into a field.
            • 3. Re: Adding to a field the contents of portal rows consecutively
              philmodjunk

I misread your post. It should be:

Substitute ( List ( RelatedTable::SingleFIeld ); ¶ ; " ")

and then it will work for A). The key is that "single field" looks like it needs to be a calculation field to combine the values of Amount, Unit and iName.

Since all three fields come from different table occurrences, the relationships between List Portal, Portal and Ingredient could also keep this from working as expected.

ExecuteSQL could also produce the desired result and it would not need an added calculation field to do so.

• 4. Re: Adding to a field the contents of portal rows consecutively
                NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

Your script

Try this code to append the data to data already present in the field:

Set Field [Cook::Recipe; Cook::Recipe & " " & Substitute(List Portal::Amount; Portal::Unit; Ingredient::iName); ¶ ; " ")

works quite well. To get the desired results I put ¶ instead of " " , and bingo!

Many thanks

• 5. Re: Adding to a field the contents of portal rows consecutively
                  philmodjunk

works quite well. To get the desired results I put ¶ instead of " " , and bingo!

Then you can simplify it by removing the substitute function from this calculation. List puts ¶ between each value to begin with.

But how will you use this text in the first place? It seems an unnecessary calculation.