5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 12:50 PM by mgores

Addresses in a value list

SteveOscar

Title

Addresses in a value list

How do I enter an address (three lines) into a value list without it separating the three lines into separate items on the list?  For ex.

Comany A

5608-95 st

City, Prov, Area Code

• 1. Re: Addresses in a value list
          mgores

you could have a separate field that is a calculation of companyname 

• 2. Re: Addresses in a value list
            philmodjunk

Why do you need to enter all this info into a single field?

It would seem to make more sense to enter this data, if at all, into separate fields as a result of making such a menu choice.

This data would appear to be entered in a different table from which the address values are listed in the value list.

If you gave each record in that table a unique ID such as an auto-entered serial number, you could use a two column value list where the ID number is in field 1 and field 2 specifies a calculation field that combines the address info into a single horizontal row. That allows you to select an Address, but the value list enters the ID number.

Then, if you have this relationship:

AddressTable::AddressID = YourTable::AddressID  (YourTable::AddressID is the drop down list formatted field)

You can place fields from AddressTable on the Yourtable based layout to display address info. You can also define fields in YourTable that copy the data via looked up value field options if you want to capture a "snapshot" of the current address instead.

• 3. Re: Addresses in a value list
              mgores

the forum monster ate my post again.

Any way if you have field that is a calculation to list those address fields out in one line, you can use that for your value list.

Then assuming you are looking at the addresses from a related table you can set the value list to insert the addressID but display that calculated field.  When you insert the addressID the normal address fields will populate with the data from that address.

• 4. Re: Addresses in a value list
                philmodjunk

the forum monster ate my post again.

It's a known issue. You can avoid most instances of this if you sign out and then back in each morning. There's some sort of timer that logs you out after  certain period of being logged in and if the sign out happens when you are in the process of entering a new post, you lose it--even if you have things set up to automatically log you back in.

• 5. Re: Addresses in a value list
                  mgores

ahhh and I didn't read the OP close enough.  I was thinking that he already had the address into separate fields