1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 9:02 AM by philmodjunk

Adjusting a find request for ease of data entry

ijontichy

Title

Adjusting a find request for ease of data entry

I have a commonly searched field and the data has an underscore in it.

PE_0200 for example.   The formatting is important and everyone wants it to be uniform.

The problem is when people have to search...they have to type the underscore when they could just as easily type "pe200"

(if I knew how to do it.)    Is there a way to have finds which allow users to skip characters?  At the very least, it'd be great to not have to type the underscore.

Thanks in advance...

• 1. Re: Adjusting a find request for ease of data entry
          philmodjunk

Any time I find the need to modify the behavior of a standard FileMaker "ad hoc" find to make it more user friendly, I usually go for an approach that has the user entering data into one or more global fields and then a script generates the needed criteria in the needed find requests in order to make this happen.

The bare bones of the script might look like this:

Enter Find Mode [] ---> clear the pause check box
               Set Field [YourTable::YourField ; Left ( Globals::gSearchField ) ; 2 ) & "_" & MIddle ( Globals::gSearchField ; 3 ; 9999 ) ]
               Set Error Capture [on]
               Perform Find []

There are other possible expressions than the one I used here for entering the criteria. I may have assumed details of the format here that do not apply to your actual situation.

For other examples of scripted finds, See: Scripted Find Examples