3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2011 9:37 AM by philmodjunk

Adjusting Description Text Box Size

scukier

Title

Adjusting Description Text Box Size

Good morning -

I am doing some pro bono work for my children's elementry school's Spring Auction event and have run into a real doozy.  We are taking the auction item's description field from a form and  using it to automatically create the event's catalog.  In the catalog, I have placed the description field (text field) under the item's name but above the 'Buy It Now' price. 

ITEM NAME (single line field)

DESCRIPTION (5 line field box)

BUY IT NOW  (single line field)

Here is my problem: If the description field includes just one line of information and I have created the box in the catalog to show 5 lines, I don't know how to make the 'Buy It Now' price automatically move up to cut the additional white space of 3 lines so that the look of the catalog is cleaner.  I have called FileMaker on this and they don't know.  Additionally, I have looked in Inspector under 'Sliding and Visibility' but it would only work if there is no data in the description field.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott

Screen_Shot_2011-10-31_at_9.03.12_AM.png

• 1. Re: Adjusting Description Text Box Size
          philmodjunk

Better check for invisibile characters in this text field. If you select "Slide up" "resize enclosing part" for both the description field and any fields/layout objects located beneath it, this space should not appear when in Preview mode or when you print/save as PDF.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          5. Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
          6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Adjusting Description Text Box Size
            scukier

Thanks for your reply.  I looked for invisible characters and there are none.  In fact, for testing purposes, I have 3 records so I know there isn't invisible characters in all 3.  I selected 'Slide up based on' and both radio buttons and 'resize enclosing part' and nothing happened in either Preview or Layout view.

Thanks again for your input.

• 3. Re: Adjusting Description Text Box Size
              philmodjunk

I have used this method any number of times. It does work (but not in browse or layout mode), so something isn't set up correctly.