6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 7:15 AM by philmodjunk

AdjWindow:resize to fit script changes windows size of other layouts

RockSure

Title

AdjWindow:resize to fit script changes windows size of other layouts

I have an Rental Search layout that has a button on it to add a client if the client does not exist in the client table. 
      Both layouts, fields and both buttons do not have any "script triggers" assigned. Each button script is assigned via the button setup. 

When you have a script that says new window/go to layout x/adj window:resize to fit 

it also re-sizes the other layouts.

My understanding was that it should only resize the new windows size. Is this not correct?
      Advanced settings is not checked in the new window script step. 

• 1. Re: AdjWindow:resize to fit script changes windows size of other layouts
          RockSure

This is also happens if you set any window sizes and or the advanced styles in the new window script. 

I also had meant to say Advanced Styles is not checked and not Advanced settings in the previous post. 

• 2. Re: AdjWindow:resize to fit script changes windows size of other layouts
            RockSure

OK the more I search this I find this may be an issue with Windows and FM interaction.
            I have tried this in 2 databases and same result. A cascade command like (shift + F5) or Arrange All Windows script is being kept or sent or windows ignores the FM window size request....  is my best guess. Not pointing fingers at FM or Windows and with my limited experience just trying to figure out if I am setting or doing something wrong to not make this work as the help files say it should.

Or better stated I am open to my understanding of how it should work could be far from how it really works due to my lack of understanding. 

• 3. Re: AdjWindow:resize to fit script changes windows size of other layouts
              philmodjunk

Am I correct that you have windows maximized when you open the new window and resize the new window?

Windows Maximized maximizes all open windows. When you resize any one window to a smaller size, all windows drop out of their maximized state and revert to a previous non-maximized windows size.

This is one of the more irritating limitations of windows management in FileMaker for windows.

There are two basic approaches to consider:

Don't have the windows maximized in the first place. Then resizing any one window won't drop the others out of maximized state as they aren't in that state.

or

Set your script up so that when it creates the new smaller window, it also resizes the previous window in the background back out to almost its original maximized size. This results in a small "twitch" in the back ground window, but if you really want that window to be maximized... (It also helps if you have FileMaker advanced as you can then set up a custom menu on the new window's layout that replaces the standard close window menu option with a script that closes the window and returns the other windows to their maximized state. This results in the windows returning to maximized if you select the window option, click the close control in the window corner or use the keyboard short cut.)

• 4. Re: AdjWindow:resize to fit script changes windows size of other layouts
                RockSure

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am using Pro13 Adv. Yes it was in windows maximized, Windows Operating system and no reason just was. Works well in GO which is the most used.

Will I still need to do a re-size of the original window for web direct if its accessed by a windows operating system? If not, this is then just a testing issue of how it works in my development platform rather then deployment.

• 5. Re: AdjWindow:resize to fit script changes windows size of other layouts
                  RockSure

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I am using Pro13 Adv. Yes it was in windows maximized, Windows Operating system and no reason just was. Works well in GO which is the most used.

Will I still need to do a re-size of the original window for web direct if its accessed by a windows operating system? If not, this is then just a testing issue of how it works in my development platform rather then deployment.

• 6. Re: AdjWindow:resize to fit script changes windows size of other layouts
                    philmodjunk

Since WebDirect works via the user's web browser, I don't think this will be an issue with WebDirect, but I do not know that for sure.