1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 11:52 AM by philmodjunk

Advice needed for displaying related records on a layout

InvectusIlumni

Title

Advice needed for displaying related records on a layout

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is even technically possible. It just makes sense, but I haven't seen it done just yet so I though I should ask.

I have a 7-table solution (graph below) which consist of the following tables: CONTACTS, FINANCE, ASSETS, DEPARTMENTS, TASKS, CALENDAR and PREFERENCES (used for storing global records i.e: common images etc.)

I have a home layout that I use for efficient navigation purposes and I hope to also use it to highlight some important information such data trends etc. This layout is currently reading from the CONTACTS table and on it I want to display a chart showing some monthly financial data like contributions and expenses. On the same layout, I would also like to display a list of upcoming tasks. Now here's the catch: the chart and the list should be based on all the records that I would specify, not just the current. 

For intuitiveness and practical reasons, the home layout is setup to be viewed in browse mode only and I understand that the chart could have been done if the records were displayed in listview.

Can anyone help at least by pointing to some concepts and workarounds?

Last but not least, here's my graph:

• 1. Re: Advice needed for displaying related records on a layout
          philmodjunk

On the same layout, I would also like to display a list of upcoming tasks. Now here's the catch: the chart and the list should be based on all the records that I would specify, not just the current. 

And how would you specify those records? A date or date range? A task's category or department? or ?

You can set up a filtered portal to tasks and manipulate the filter to control what task records are listed if you have FileMaker 11. If you have an older version, you can still do this, but with less flexibility and you'll have to add a relationship that uses additional fields to "filter" out undesired task records.

I understand that the chart could have been done if the records were displayed in listview.

I don't know everything there is to know about charts, but I don't think that is the case. Form view, in fact, should work better so you don't see repeated copies of the same chart if your records don't fill the entire screen. Figuring out how to chart only the selected finance data from the related table will be the main challenge--especially as you have no direct link between contacts and finances. (the link goes through tasks and this requires an existing record that links to contacts and to finances before the data can be accessed from a Contacts layout.)