AnsweredAssumed Answered

Advice on Workflow

Question asked by pmjd on Feb 27, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 by pmjd

Title

Advice on Workflow & Tables

Hi everyone,

looking for a few opinions or suggestions on the best way to set up filemaker table relationships for the car hire solution I'm trying to build. Read around a few things and been reading the missing manual but as I'm still starting out I wouldn't mind a bit of advice from some more seasoned users on the best set up.

At work the way it goes at the moment is as follows:

1) Take a booking

2) Once confirmed assign a vehicle on paper planner

3) Day before rental prep paperwork and take payment inc. deposit unless it's on an account, in which case invoice sent out once rental is complete

4) Rental ends, assess vehicle condition and return deposit in full or part, sometimes additional charges like fuel or vehicle hired for an extra day etc.

5) once complete, pay percentage of rental to our head office company.

In FileMaker I have set up a "booking" table which calculates the price according to the various options selected, which is linked to a "customer_details" table via a join table to allow multiple driver selection. So far so good.

For the next step I have a "rental" table, which also has fields for the possible extras at the end of a rental as well as lookup fields for various values from the "booking" table, and a link to the "vehicles". As a rental can only have one vehicle but a vehicle can have many rentals I assume that I don't need a join table between rental and vehicle?

From the rental table I can print an agreement form with all the correct information on it.

Booking>----<Rental>---<vehicle

Should I then have a further table which only looks up the values from the appropriate values from the rental table and use this as a "final invoice" table which has all the final details as the one to link with a payment table?

Booking>---<rental>----<final invoice(all values looked up from rental table)>---<payment join table>---<payments taken

Would this be a good setup or am I missing something?

Also any suggestions for vehicle assignment for booking, as in how to avoid double booking a car, or it is only the realm of plugins like seedcode's calendar that would bring that functionality? I know there are a lot of great reviews about it but it's price puts it out of consideration, as well as my limited skills in implementing it!

Any suggestions or hints very welcome.

Thanks for reading, 

Paul

Outcomes