2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2013 6:42 AM by SteveMartino

Advise on streamlining and finding tutorials

ParTuresson

Title

Advise on streamlining and finding tutorials

Hello,
           I am entirely new to this!  Would love some input on how to STRUCTURE A DATABASE for my small business, AND help to FIND THE BEST TUTORIALS for creating that structure.

Ideally I’d like something such as:

A PRICE LIST with a “click” or “drag and drop” function where items END UP IN A QUOTE template document that I can send (maybe convert to PDF first?).
           I’d like this quote document to EASILY TRANSLATE INTO AN INVOICE, RECEIPT, AND PURCHASE ORDER. Each document would reveal slightly different information. For instance, the customers prices and my PO prices to the manufacturer would be different.

Also, can I link a database to my website?
           Maybe a customer could enter their contact details and click on items in a list on the website. Then the request would be automatically entered into a quote document that either I send or that is sent automatically.  

If background is needed here it is:

I import machines from Germany to the US.
           I sell 2-5 per month working towards 15 per month.
           I have a website but no prices on the site.
           They are affected by the currency exchange.

People contact me for price quotes.
           With an excel price list I calculate the price.
           Then write a Word quote and send as PDF.
           When people want to buy I either,
           write a Paypal invoice which automatically generates a receipt.
           write a Word invoice and send as PDF with a followup receipt in Word/PDF  when the a bank transfer has cleared.
           When the payment has cleared I write a purchase order to Germany and send as PDF.

Now, this has to be streamlined!
           What do I do to easily manage this without too many documents.

Any help is appreciated.
           Thanks a bunch!

• 1. Re: Advise on streamlining and finding tutorials
          GuyStevens

Here is a beginners tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2EzvaWyBk

There are more video's on my channel.

• 2. Re: Advise on streamlining and finding tutorials
            SteveMartino

DaSaint has great tutorials, he's super knowlegeable and creative. 

Also 2 books will help you: "The FileMaker Training Series", and "FileMaker Pro 12:  The Missing Manual".  I would read through and do the exercises in both books (I know it's hard because you want to just jump right in to your own design), starting with the Missing Manual.  Planning is the key.  It will save you time and frustration, and prevent you from getting many hours into your database only to realize you went down the wrong path. Plus you'll see examples of things you will want to add to your DB.

After that, go through the Starter Solutions.  You may either find a solution that gets you most of the way there and modify it, and/or you'll discover techniques and scripts, formulas, layout tricks, etc. that will benefit your DB.

Have fun, and come back and ask questions.