AnsweredAssumed Answered

After choosing value from a record, how to automatically pull-in another field from same record?

Question asked by scottk on Aug 15, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 by scottk

Title

After choosing value from a record, how to automatically pull-in another field from same record?

I am using FileMaker Pro 12, coming over from Bento. A database newbie to be sure.

I have an Ingredients table which is keyed by IngredientName. Each ingredient has a corresponding IngredientCost field.

I also have a Recipe table. So far I have created 15 fields of Ingredient01 ... Ingredient15 to correspond to ingredients in a particular recipe record, e.g. Bread.

I have figured out how to create a Values List to contain all the Ingredients, and a drop-down list in Recipe for each ingredient field using this Value List.

But how do I pull in the corresponding IngredientCost from the Ingredients table for the selected ingredient.

For example, if I have already input that flour is $.25 per ounce in the Ingredients table, and have selected "flour" as Ingredient01 for the Bread record in Recipe table, how do I pull in the corrpesonding $.25 in the IngredientCost01 field in Bread record ? 

Thanks for any help.

Outcomes