6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2012 5:05 AM by mike-leblanc

After unexpected quit, cannot open Filemaker document.

mike-leblanc

Title

After unexpected quit, cannot open Filemaker document.

FMP 11.0v4 (Mac Intel 10.7.3) now quits unexpectedly with annoying frequency.  Afterwards it won't open my database via double-click.  See the image attached.  This is a known issue and FM is working on it.  When I restart my Mac, the problem goes away until the next unexpected quit.

I have gone through the recover procedure.  It reports zero errors, zero problems.

In the sharing controls, I have now shut off FileMaker Network.  Instant Web Publishing has always been off.  Still I get the alerts in the image.

Any advice?  This database becomes more important to me every day, and the itch between my shoulder blades becomes worse with every crash.

FM-error.jpg

• 1. Re: After unexpected quit, cannot open Filemaker document.
          philmodjunk

While recover is the frist and best thing to try after a crash, it isn't flawless. It's possible that there is damage to your file that it isn't detecting. As a test, create a simple test file and see if it exhibits the same instability. If it is stable, that suggests an undetected problem with your file. If it is not, that suggests that you take a closer look at your computer.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: After unexpected quit, cannot open Filemaker document.
            mike-leblanc

Thanks for the tips.  I just created a database using the Contact Management starter solution and imported all my Address Book entries.  I'll keep it open and play around when I get time.

Currently, FMP is the only program I use every day that is quitting unexpectedly.{*}  If my new DB is also unstable, what do you suggest I look at closer in my system?

If it is stable, implying a weird problem with my other DB, how do I approach trying to "fix" it?

{*} Every 2 or 3 days, Safari seizes up and I have to force quit.

• 3. Re: After unexpected quit, cannot open Filemaker document.
              philmodjunk

Not being a mac user, my advice on what to do if the test file is not stable is limited. You can trash filemaker preferences. You can find and run a utility that checks your hard drive and user accounts for issues. If all else fails, you can delete your filemaker application folder and re-install.

If the test file is stable, then you may have hidden damage in your file. There's a third party utility called FMDiff you can use to see if it can detect any problems that Recover cannot detect. If you have back up copies you can test your back up copies to see if any of them are stable.

Sometimes recovering the file, exporting the data as text to a tab, merge or csv file, then importing it into a clone of your file will work, if the problem lies with the data rather than the structure of your database.

BTW, did you try testing the recovered file even though no problems where found? Recover rebuilds all the indexes and resets some other properties back to "factory spec". Once in a great while, that fixes the problem even though it did not report a problem.

• 4. Re: After unexpected quit, cannot open Filemaker document.
                davidanders

Applejack is a maintenance utility that works well, unfortunately not on Lion.

Onyx or YASU are viable alternatives.
                http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+monthly+maintenance

A simple Safe Mode startup will do some housecleaning and repair (shift key down)
                http://www.google.com/search?q=mac+safe+mode

A user vs system problem can often be diagnosed by creating a Test User and logging in as that user. If the symptoms are gone, the problem is in the main user's files and folders.

Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue
                http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1199

David Anders
                The Computer Guy, Seattle

• 5. Re: After unexpected quit, cannot open Filemaker document.
                  philmodjunk

Thanks David, I was hoping to see a post from you here. Wink

• 6. Re: After unexpected quit, cannot open Filemaker document.
                    mike-leblanc

Thanks, everyone.  I'll try things as time permits.  However, I have already done something I should have done first: repair permissions on the startup disk.  This fixed a slew of files.