7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 4:19 PM by philmodjunk

Age in Years

Annette

Title

Age in Years

Hi all, appreciate any help very frustrated at this point as nothing is working.

I'm trying to get an age of a person as of a given date.

I have a global field where I put a date in and this is saved in a variable ...  $$EndDate

I would like to find out the age of a person from their DOB to $$EndDate.  All the ways I try at this point have given me crazy numbers or negative numbers.

So....if someones birthday was 06/02/10 and $$EndDate is 06/02/15 then result would be 5

If DOB was 01/03/10 and $$EndDate is 06/02/15 then result would be 4.

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Age in Years
          philmodjunk

Let (  [ B = YourTable::BirthDateField ;
                      T = $$EndDate 
                   ] ;
                      Year ( T ) - Year ( B ) - ( T < Date ( Month ( B ) ; Day ( B ) ; Year ( T ) ) )
                )

Substitute your birthdate field in place of "YourTable::BirthDateField" and make sure that this is a field of type date.

• 2. Re: Age in Years
            philmodjunk

Made a major typo adapting a standard calc I use to refer to your variable date. I fixed it here in the forum, but if you are reading your email to see this, the version in your email will be incorrect.

• 3. Re: Age in Years
              Annette

Hi, it still doesn't seem to be working.  I get a negative number.  I have written:

Let (  [ B = ClientDOB ;
                          T = $$EndDate
                       ] ;
                    )

The ClientDOB field is a date field, but it's looking up this info from a date field on another table, does that interfere with this?

• 4. Re: Age in Years
                Annette

As an example I have a record where the DOB is 22/10/10 and $$EndDate (01/02/15) gives me a result of -2011.

• 5. Re: Age in Years
                  philmodjunk

When I test it, I get a result of 4.

I tested it with the following expression in my dataviewer:

Let (  [ ClientDOB = GetAsDate ( "10/22/10" ) ;
                              B = ClientDOB ;
                              T = GetAsDate ( "02/01/15" ) // $$EndDate
                           ] ;
                        )

Since my locality settings expect dates to be in an MM/DD/YY format, I swapped the month and day values inside my quoted strings in order to get accurate, valid dates for the test.

• 6. Re: Age in Years
                    Annette

UGH!  THANKS!!!  The problem was not in the calculation (as you knew already) but that it was indexed and saved the results from when I had the wrong calculation being used.  Once I ticked do not store results, recalculate when needed it showed me the right info. 

I still haven't wrapped my head around when that do not store tick box should be used.  I would think any calculation where the results change regularly such as this but when I have scripts for reports that include those fields they seem to take forever to run until I untick that box then they run in seconds.

• 7. Re: Age in Years
                      philmodjunk

A stored calculation field will only update if a field referenced in the calculation is modified. Modifying a variable or a get function such as Get ( CurrentDate ) returning a different date will not trigger an update.