5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 6:07 AM by philmodjunk

Alert on welcome page if changes have been made to a program

sfioranelli

Title

Alert on welcome page if changes have been made to a program

I am trying to make an alert appear on my startup page for the users if a change has been made to a program. Does anyone know how to write this type of script? Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Alert on welcome page if changes have been made to a program
          philmodjunk

And what is a "Program"? What kind of changes might be made to modify that "Program"? Is Program represented by a single record, a group of records, a parent records with groups of related child records or ???

• 2. Re: Alert on welcome page if changes have been made to a program
            sfioranelli

A program is a daily or weekly schedule of events that take place, which would be imported as a pdf into a container.  Each program would be an individual record.  The change that would be reported would be in a field called notes.

An example of a change would be a flight change or a meeting time change in the program.

Thank you for your help.

• 3. Re: Alert on welcome page if changes have been made to a program
              philmodjunk

Changed since when? Since the last time a given user opened the database changes in the last X days or ???

You can add a field that auto-enters either the modification date or the modification TimeStamp (Timestamps record date and time in the same field). Then, any time that a record is modified, this field will update to show today's date or the current time date and time.

Depending on what you need, there are several different ways that you can use this method to identify specific records that have been modified or it can be used with a summary field or aggregate function calculation to determine if any records have been modified since some specified date.

• 4. Re: Alert on welcome page if changes have been made to a program
                sfioranelli

Thank you for the information, this part I know.  Perhaps I did not explain myself well enough.  What I need is an icon that appears on the welcome page only when a change is made to a program.  This way the user is aware that a program has changed and can click on the icon where the change in the program is then shown.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Alert on welcome page if changes have been made to a program
                  philmodjunk

This doesn't answer my question about how you want to manage these change notifications.

To repeat:

Changed since when? Since the last time a given user opened the database changes in the last X days or ???

A start up script can perform a find and then list all records where the modificaiton date field meets specific criteria. A portal could also be used to list them and then you are using a relationship instead of a script. Either way a button can be associated with each listed record to switch to a layout designed for a detail view of the listed record.

But the criteria you choose to use depends on how you want to manage this process as there are multiple options.