9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 2:57 PM by philmodjunk

Alert others to a new order?

jmac2501

Title

Alert others to a new order?

I am looking for a why to alert other users of a new record.

For instance I create a request for a new part and submit it. when I submit my request I would like some how for the people filling my reqest to get a notification that there is a new reqest. 

Any Ideas on how I can do that??? 

Thanks,

Jesse

• 1. Re: Alert others to a new order?
          philmodjunk

You could use the Send Mail script step to send them an email.

You could set up a messaging system in Filemaker that notifies recipients the next time they open the database file.

• 2. Re: Alert others to a new order?
            jmac2501

I was thinking about the e-mail but then they would get around 50+ emails per day...

the database will be open the whole time so...... yeah I might have to just send them e-mails.

• 3. Re: Alert others to a new order?
              philmodjunk
                 You might be able to combine multiple notifications into a single email. You could then send one out for each recipient on a daily basis, or hourly, or....
              • 4. Re: Alert others to a new order?
                mrvodka
                   If you are on FMP10, you can use the Install OnTimer script step to check a notification log every few minutes. When a new project is created, you can create records in the notification log for that project per user. Once received by the user, it would mark the notification log record as sent.
                • 5. Re: Alert others to a new order?
                  ninja

For our dispensing room, we use a list view layout of all pending "orders" sorted by date due.

All layouts have a button to return to this layout.

That way, there is a list of all open orders...not just old or new.  And they're sorted by when they're due, rather than when they were requested (although request timestamp also shows).

On the "Requests Waiting" layout, you can click on each open order to view its details, then click "View Requests Waiting" to go back to the list.

Would this accomplish what you're after?  It's not exactly what you're asking for, but may accomplish your goal.

If folks need to check email, or check the Dbase for a notification...they can check the "Requests Waiting" layout just as easily.

• 6. Re: Alert others to a new order?
                    jmac2501

yeah that is baiscly what we are doing now. what I was looking to do is:

There is a Inventory home page that they leave open and go about doing other jobs. what I was looking for was when I send a new reqest over to them, with out them refreshing or clicking on anything it would pop up somthing that says "NEW". so that they could tell they got a new request with out having to click on anything. 

The on time request thing could work but we have this web based and that doesn't work. 

• 7. Re: Alert others to a new order?
                      ninja

Ours is hosted on FMP Server, and when a new request is added to the list...it appears on the list with no clicking required.

If something is marked "new"...what would you consider an appropriate time for the "New" status to shut off?

I'm noodling through how else to accomplish this.  A trigger for what's due NEXT (i.e. being on the top of the list) seems more important than what was added to the workload LAST (which often is due last)... seems to be more effective to me...

I can't think of another way to not need clicking involved (email=multiple clicks, new request layout = multiple clicks, etc.).

Refresh of a list (if ia refresh is even needed) is one click.

Another thought:

You could autoenter "New" in a new field called Table::New, turn the color bright red, the text bold, and make the field a button that performs the action "SetField [ Table::New ; "" ]"

This would mark each "new" entry on the list as new, with a bright red flag, until the operator clicks that he's seen it.  Then it wouldn't be flagged "New" anymore.

• 8. Re: Alert others to a new order?
                        jmac2501

"Another thought:

You could autoenter "New" in a new field called Table::New, turn the color bright red, the text bold, and make the field a button that performs the action "SetField [ Table::New ; "" ]"

This would mark each "new" entry on the list as new, with a bright red flag, until the operator clicks that he's seen it.  Then it wouldn't be flagged "New" anymore."

I was playing around with that the other day but we could get the NEW to appear with out refreshing the page. we set up a new globle field called Table::New, turn the color bright red, the text bold and had buttons in the request layout set that field to "NEW!". I can see that the field is now populated with "NEW!" but unless the inventory girls refreshed there page it won't show. And that defeated the perpose.

Great ideas though thanks. 

• 9. Re: Alert others to a new order?
                          philmodjunk

Here's a method for handling the "refresh" issue:

I have a screen in some of my databases that list invoices that have been completed and are waiting for the cashier to print out and complete the transaction with the customer.

Buttons that pull up this layout, trigger the following script:

Loop

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [table::Status; "Ready for Cashier"]

Set Error Capture [on]

Perform Find[]

Pause/Resume [2 seconds]

End Loop

All buttons that exit this layout use the Halt option in Button setup to terminate this loop.