5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2013 8:33 AM by philmodjunk

Align ALL TEXT fonts in Filemaker pro ?

FlaviaAssociate

Title

Align ALL TEXT fonts in Filemaker pro ?

Hello,

I am using currently FM pro 7 just trying out the trial version of FM 12 pro as a Contact Database. 

There are many different styles of fonts, sizes etc. ibecause lot of contacts have been copy & pasted into  this database.

Is there a possibility to change ALL FONTS at once? ( I have currently 9,000 accounts and can´t go thru manually)

Thank you very much for you help

• 1. Re: Align ALL TEXT fonts in Filemaker pro ?
          philmodjunk

Take a look at using Replace Field Contents with the calculation option. There are several textformatting functions that can either remove all font style entries from your data or can be used to apply a universal font style. I recommend removing the formatting info with TextFormatRemove and then using font and other style options as settings specified for the field object on your layout instead of as data in the field.

TextFormatRemove ( Self ) is an oft recommended auto-enter calculation that prevents this issue by automatically stripiing out all style info at the time the data is entered/pasted intot the field.

• 2. Re: Align ALL TEXT fonts in Filemaker pro ?
            FlaviaAssociate

Thank you very much for your fast answer. 

I´m struggling hard with the FM and I can´t get along with it. Where do I find the "calculation option / replace field content" . Your answer is probably way too professional to understand for me. Could you please explain more in detail?

I would be very grateful for a solution. I need to restructure the whole data base. Including formating all accounts to one font, adding title, addresses etc. whereever missing...

• 3. Re: Align ALL TEXT fonts in Filemaker pro ?
              philmodjunk

Make a back up copy of your database file. (Use the OS to copy the file while it is closed or use Save A Copy As to copy it if it is open or use a server back up schedule if you are hosting the file with server.)

Go to a layout where the field is present on the layout.

Select Show All Records from the Records unless it is greyed out. (Greyed out means that all records are already in the found set.)

Click or tab to put the cursor in the field.

Select Replace Field Contents from the Records menu.

A dialog appears where you can select "Calculation" as the option to use. When you select this option, the Specify Calculation dialog box will open where you can enter an expression such as:

TextFormatRemove ( PutYourFieldHere )

Now click OK to close the dialogs and perform the replace field contents.

This modifies data in every record in your table and cannot be undone. The back up copy allows you to discard the current copy and revert to the back up if you make a mistake with the Replace Field Contents operation.

• 4. Re: Align ALL TEXT fonts in Filemaker pro ?
                FlaviaAssociate

Again, thank you for talking me through this! 

I managed to do as you instructed. I can only replace one field one by one? I ended up having the "firm name" copied into my "address field".  How do I match all fields with one font and one size e.g Helvetica 12?

Is there somewhere a tutorial that explains "all the funcitons by name" ? 

• 5. Re: Align ALL TEXT fonts in Filemaker pro ?
                  philmodjunk

Replace Field contents updates one field at a time. You'll need to do this for each field. If you ended up having having the "firm name" copied into your "address field", you were not following my directions successfully. Prehaps you selecte Find/Replace from the EDIT menu instead of Replace Field Contents from the RECORDS menu?

s there somewhere a tutorial that explains "all the funcitons by name" ?

Open FileMaker Help and enter the search word "Functions". You should be able to pull up both an alphabetical list of funcitons and one that lists them by category (such as text functions or text formatting functions). If you click a function name in this list, it will take you to a description of that funcction.

But Replace Field Contents is not a function--it's either a menu option or a script step.