Thank you for your post.
My fields aligned side-by-side without a problem. Here are the steps I took:
1. Created two text fields (field1 and field2) and set the storage for 20 repeating values.
2. I went into Layout Mode (View menu), selected both fields, pulled down the Format menu and selected "Field/Control -> Setup..."
3. At the bottom of that dialog box, I changed the orientation to vertical.
4. I returned to the Layout and placed the fields side-by-side so that there were two columns of 20 rows.
5. I selected the second field (field2) and went back into "Field/Control -> Setup...", and set the field to display as a drop-down list. When I click OK, nothing has changed on the layout. The fields are still aligned side-by-side.
6. I go into Browse Mode, create a new record, and everything appears to work properly.
Here are some things to check. Click on the first repeating field, pull down the Format menu and write down the Font, the Font Size, and the Style. Then, click on the second repeating field, pull down the Format menu, and make sure the Font, the Font Size, and the Style is the same as the first repeating field. If they are different, that would definitely contribute to the problem.
Click on the first repeating field, and four "anchors" will appear on the corners of the first repetition. Pull the bottom left corner downwards and then upwards to size the field to its minimum height. Also do this with the second repeating field. The alignment should now be the same.
If you are still having difficulty, please let me know.
Thank you! This must have seemed like a stupid question. I had already done what you suggested. So, just now, I got mad, deleted it all and layed it all out again and this time it aligns perfectly. Oh Brother! I'll have to try the scrap-it-and-start-over-method next time. Anyway, thank you for you patient reply.