3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 2:33 PM by pault

All different types of contacts

FFFC

Title

All different types of contacts

Hello,

I'm using Filemaker Pro Advanced 10 and would like some advice.

I have to set up a database to hold all our contacts, the thing is there are many differnt type of contacts ie, students, staff, external contacts, children who participate in our Saturday program etc. So therefore I will need different layouts for each type of contact. Would I be best to have all contacts in the one table or should I have separate tables? The thing is some childen who participate in our Saturday program become students, so I want it to be able to make them students but still keep the information about them while they were in the Saturday program. Yet I don't want them in there twice. Same with students that graduate, some become staff - I want to still be able to view their schooling information as well as staff member information.

Hope I make sense.

Thank-you

• 1. Re: All different types of contacts
          pault

Seems like you'd want to have one Person table and one Roles table. Give each record in each table a primary key and connect the two with a join table.  In this way one person could have one or more roles. Create a portal on a Person table layout to see the various roles a person holds/held.

When dealing with like items (in this case people), it's best to keep their basic information all in one table.

Just my 2 cents, 

PT

• 2. Re: All different types of contacts
            FFFC

Ok that sounds like a good idea but still need a little help. When you say give each record in each table a primary key what do you exactly mean? A number or something?

Sorry but I just need to get my head around how I am going to do it.

• 3. Re: All different types of contacts
              pault

You'll create an auto entered serial number field in your Person table. This will be your primary key for this table. Call it pk_Person. Also create any other fields specific to a person.

You'll create an auto entered serial number field in your Roles table. This will be your primary key for this table. Call it pk_Roles. Also create any other fields specific to a role. The role field (in the Role table) will be a value list containing Student, Staff, Client, Child etc.

You'll create a third table called a "join" table. The join table will contain 2 fields - call one fk_Person and the other fk_Roles. (Foreign keys relating to the Person and Roles tables)

Go to File /Manage /Database and create a relationship from pk_Person to fk_Person and from pk_Roles to fk_Roles.

Create a layout containing the fields you want.

I tried to create a prototype of this and unfortunately needed to create the same person over and over again for each new role.

Perhaps when you get a little further along you can repost your question to this forum.

PaulT