5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2010 10:43 PM by fitch

All fields layout

zebrarino

Title

All fields layout

Is there a simple way to make a layout with all fields, ordered in some particular order, and in one long column so it looks "neat"?

• 1. Re: All fields layout
          LaRetta_1

Create a new layout (form view).   Select 'Move All' on the fields.

Now FM tries to help but doesn't.  If the field is text, it will make the field 253 px wide; number, 79, time at 121 and timestamp at 241.  Why those particular numbers are chosen is beyond me - it doesn't matter on which font or font size (that changes the height of the field but not the default width.  Anyway, I digress ...

It will automatically right-align the labels next to the fields (which is good).  Now click once to select any field.  Then select Edit and then [SHIFT] Select All.  This will grab fields only and all fields.  Then Arrange > Resize to largest width.

UPDATE:  You can also drag around all of your fields (only) and then perform Arrange.

DOUBLE UPDATE: Oh, if you arrange your fields in Define Fields (select pop-up top left 'view by') you can change the order.  Then when you create your layout, it will be in same order. 

• 2. Re: All fields layout
            zebrarino

The problem with aligning is that it selects the labels and the fields when you select all

how can i select them as just the fields and just the labels?

• 3. Re: All fields layout
              LaRetta_1

There should be no need to align, as I indicated.  But if you wish to align only the labels, do as suggested on the labels ... select one label and then hold down shift and Edit > Select All.  It will grab all labels only.  Then from menu, select Arrange > Align.  Same with fields. 

What exactly is the desire result you are looking for?  Maybe we should start with that. :smileyhappy:

UPDATE:  Let me clarify a bit more ... select a single label so the handles appear on it.  Then hold down the shift key while then selecting from Menu - Edit > Select All.  This will select all labels on a layout for group changing.  The same will happen if you select a single label, hold shift and then Edit > Select All.

• 4. Re: All fields layout
                zebrarino

actually, i think it is OPTION-edit, not shift edit???

• 5. Re: All fields layout
                  fitch

Mac vs PC, different key.