7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2010 9:25 AM by philmodjunk

All records not showing up in drop-down list

suef

Title

All records not showing up in drop-down list

I have a couple files that each have a few thousand records.  When I try to access one file's records at the end of the alphabet in a drop-down list, the end of the record list is not showing up in the drop-down.  I was able to delete some old records (several hundred in fact) and it didn't help.  Another file has many more records and is working just fine.  What steps do I need to take to be able to access all those records in the drop-down list?

Using FMP 10v1 if that makes a difference.

--Sue

• 1. Re: All records not showing up in drop-down list
          raybaudi

How did you create the value list ?

• 2. Re: All records not showing up in drop-down list
            suef

The value list is a field from a related file - it's an ID list to choose a client from a list of them.  I've had this database set up like this for over 10 years, and it's not been a problem until the last few months - I thought it was because the client list was getting too big and I pared it down but that hasn't made any difference.  Interestingly there is a different ID list (different file) that also has a drop-down list that is over twice as large as the client list and that one works just fine, no cutoff of the last records in the file.

• 3. Re: All records not showing up in drop-down list
              philmodjunk

Is this a two column value lists with ID numbers in column 1 and names in column 2?

Are you either hiding the first column or sorting the values on the second column?

If so, and you have two or more records with the same "name" the additional duplicate name entries will not appear in your list.

• 4. Re: All records not showing up in drop-down list
                suef

Not a two-column value list, only one column.  Duplicate entries are not what's not showing up - I have many clients whose last names start with Y or Z and they are not showing up at the bottom of the list.  They always used to but they aren't any more.

• 5. Re: All records not showing up in drop-down list
                  philmodjunk

Is this a value list that "shows only related values, starting from..."?

You can open the related table and see that the records are there?

Sometimes a file gets an index messed up and rebuilding the index solves the problem. You might try rebuilding the indexes for the field supplying the values and also the fields that define the relationship if you are using the "show only related.." option.

To rebuild a field's index...

1. Find its definition in Manage | Database | Fields and double click it.
                  2. Select the storage tab and Turn indexing off for the field
                  3. Exit Manage | Database
                  4. Re-open Manage database and turn the indexing back on.

You can also rebuild all a file's indexes by saving a clone of your file and then importing all your data into it.

• 6. Re: All records not showing up in drop-down list
                    suef

The value list shows all records, there is not a range.  

I tried rebuilding the indices for the related fields by the first method and that didn't work.  Then I exported the records into a separate file, cloned the original file, and reimported them.  That seems to have solved it!  

This is a very valuable piece of advice, because now that I know the indexing can cause strange problems I can think about that if things happen again in the future.  THANK YOU!!

• 7. Re: All records not showing up in drop-down list
                      philmodjunk

You might follow up with a recover of your file to check for file corruption. A corrupted file can affect the index and I've had files "limp along" appearing to be functional and then gradually requiring an index rebuild. A recover revealed corruption was the root cause and I was able to fix the problem and keep it fixed by replacing the with an undamaged copy.

Best practice is to never use a recover file as there is no way to be sure the recovered file was correctly repaired.