1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 3:55 PM by philmodjunk

All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared

JanMoreland

Title

All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared

I had spent 4 -5 ours updating my database, scripts and screens last night. I had to make quite a few screenshots but when I finished, I think I clicked the X on my FMP database. I've never had a problem with doing this, but I can't think of anything else that could have occurred. At any rate, all of my updates were gone and I had to revert to my previous backup and start over. I would still love to restore my changes if that is possible but more importantly I'd like to know if you have any idea what could have gone wrong so it doesn't happen again. I always backup my database when I am done for the day but I hadn't done that yet last night. Any ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
          philmodjunk

FileMaker doesn't just lose stuff like that as it saves all such changes automatically. Clicking the close control on the window is the same as choosing Quit from the File Menu.

In cases where others have reported this problem, it turned out that they had more than one copy of their file and had opened an older copy by mistake. Anychance that is what happend for you?

• 2. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
            JanMoreland

No. I have looked at everything on my laptop that has my database name in it and I can't find the new one anywhere. I even looked in the recycle bin - I really was desperate at 11pm to find my changes. No luck. I notice that sometimes FMP appends a number, starting with a 'Z' to to my database name. I know I didn't do that but I don't know what it means. Last week I was saving copies of the current database with a Classic them, instead of the theme I was using, so it could be viewed online. Those are all available but the one I am actively working on just evaporated.

• 3. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
              JanMoreland

Is it possible I changed back and forth too many times with the Classic theme to my theme? I remember reading something about not appyling too many Styles to your database because you can't ever get rid of them.

• 4. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                philmodjunk

FileMaker will not append a number ot the filename on it's own. Something specifically must be set up to do that, such as a script that saves a copy of the file. On the other hand, if you are seeing this number in the window title while you have the file open, it just means that you have multiple windows with the same name open--easy to do if you use Manage | Layouts to find and open a layout.

Changing themes increases the size of your file, but I doubt that changing back and forth between the same two themes will increase the file size after the first change, but it's not something that I have personally checked. It won't cause all your changes to disappear.

I still think you opened a different copy and that's why you don't see your latest changes to the file. You can run a recover on your file to see what it reports, but that's an extreme long shot here. The reason I think that, is this is info that can't be lost unless your file crashes or you "force quit" the file before it can be saved and that is not what you describe here.

• 5. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                  JanMoreland

OK - I'll go back and check all files again, even though the date updated may be old. I don't think anything crashed, or at least it didn't mention it if it did and I didn't do a force quit. By the time I X'd out, all my data, etc. had been saved many times over. I hope I can find it and I'll let you know. Thanks again

• 6. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                    Sorbsbuster

Before you open any more files, try using File - Open Recent...' and see if it shows you it there.  Unfortunately if you have experimented with opening many files in the meantime it will have dropped off the list.

• 7. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                      JanMoreland

I just remembered something else. After I finished my updates, I exported the file. I had added 8 arrays with 100 occurrences each as part of my updates. The export process told me that it could not handle repeating fields in the extract so it would just take the first occurrence of each. Do you know if there are any problems associated with that function? Could I have crashed the system without being aware of it?

• 8. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                        JanMoreland

I know it can't export the arrays, that's not a problem and I can work around it. I just wonder if that cased a problem to try it.

• 9. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                          philmodjunk

What kind of export?

What kind of "array"?

That would appear to refer to a repeating field and there are much better design options than using a repeating field in your database.

Some crashes trigger a error dialog and others do not, so I can't say categorically that it's impossible that you crashed the file and didn't notice.

To save future headaches, you might consider the trick described in this thread: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

• 10. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                            JanMoreland

What would be better than a repeating field?

• 11. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                              philmodjunk

Use a related table of records. Unlike a repeating field, there is no built in limit to how many items can be in your set of related records. In addition, if you need report on the values in that set of data, it is very easy to work with that data as a set of related records where it is difficult to impossible to do the same thing with a repeating field. A portal is by far the most common way you would set up a layout in order to work with a set of related records from the context of the parent record.

There ARE uses for a repeating field, but they have become few and far between. (Repeating fields pre-date the version of filemaker that made it possible to link tables in relationships.)

• 12. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                                Sorbsbuster

Not that he needs it in any way, but I support 100% Phil's observations.

- Filemaker just doesn't lose 4-5 hours work like that.  Fact.
                                     - Odds are 10000-1 you are opening another file that is not the file you were working on.
                                     - you can export arrays of repeated fields.  But to be of any use you would really have to export then in filemaker format, and then import them to another Filemaker file
                                     - repeated fields have a dwindling number of very specific uses (and, BTW, I like them).  The vast majority of the time if you feel the urge for repeated fields (especially 8 instances with 100 repeats) you would be infinitely better scatching that itch by creating related tables of the data you want to store in the repetitions.

• 13. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                                  Sorbsbuster

(It took me 7 minutes to type that.....)

• 14. Re: All Updates (to DB, Scripts and Screens) Disappeared
                                    JanMoreland

THat's a great idea but I have a question about something I have been successfully so far. I noticed that when I was first working with related tables from my parent table, I can see the related records, but I can't update them. How do I update the related table while I am processing the data in my parent table. I'm sure it's easy but not obvious. I'm kind of old school and if I see the fields I think I should be able to update the.

1 2 Previous Next