You could have a form with the same fields as the 'true' data entry form, except that each field is a global. You can set the privileges and a start-script that means the user only sees that version of the form. When the user comes to fill in the form they create a new record and complete their responses in those global fields. Then there is a 'Post Answers' button, which copies all of their answers into the 'real' fields (which they never get to see).
Thanks for your response. I have done what you suggested follwing the instruction from here http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3178/~/allowing-data-entry-while-prohibiting-editing-or-viewing-of-records
But doing this I get a new record each time in the table both global fields and non-global fields. This means that the records keep increasing even thought the gloabl fields are all the same.
Would it be possible to have a form with global fields which are copied to table (non global fields) and then reset the form some how so that a new new record is not creacted each time. I don't want client to accidently open an previoius record and overwrite any data.
Basically what I am wondering about is can I have one record for the global fields by multplie records for non-global fields? That is one form whihc all clients complete which is copied to a new non-global record each time
"This means that the records keep increasing" - you want to keep a record of the responses, yes? So your records would increase by one every time someone completed a questionnaire?
You only need one table. It is a table with all the fields holding the answers, and a 'duplicate' (well, very similar) set of fields in the same table that are a mirror of the real-answer fields, but are all set as globals.
The scenario would be:
- User opens the file and clicks a button to create a new Questionnaire
- A new record is created and they are taken to a layout that only has the global fields. They are blank.
- They complete their responses, entering the data into the global fields.
- When they are finished they click the button to 'Submit my answers'
- That script copies all of the global values into the 'real answer' fields.
- You can set it to clear the global fields after it has copied them across.
- the next user comes along and clicks the 'New Questionnaire' button and starts the second record.
- no user needs to see any responses, their own or otherwise.
- as the administrator you will have access to the layout that can look exactly the same as the data-collection layout, except it has all the 'real' fields.
Thank you I have followed your suggestions. It works realy well.