AnsweredAssumed Answered

Allowing Data Entry but Disallowing Record Editing

Question asked by Melinda on Nov 10, 2009
Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 by Melinda

Title

Allowing Data Entry but Disallowing Record Editing

I am using FM Pro 9 (shared over a network, FM Server) on a MAC (OS 10).  I am a beginner to intermediate FM user, so the more detailed the replies the better. 

I have a few layouts requiring data entry that would be most efficiently completed by someone other than myself -- our current method of data entry works just fine, however I am pretty certain it is not very efficient for me or our contract managers.  Currently, a contract manager completes an excel workbook with all of the contract information, sends it to me, and I import the worksheets into the appropriate layouts.  This works fine, however, some of the data is extensive and I am finding that the workbooks are quite cumbersome for the managers to work with...  It would be much simpler if the manager could enter the data directly into the layout, but I don't want them to have access to other contracts (records) in the database.  Basically, I ONLY want them to be able to enter the initial data -- I would make the edits as they come up. SO, I guess I am asking if there is a way to give someone access to a layout or portions of a layout, but nothing else...  This would be helpful for our instructors as well when recording their hours each month!

I should stress that the managers and/or instructors should not be able to see/access/edit any data/records already in the database, only the record they are creating at the time.

And, just as an FYI, if this is not possible to do in FM Pro 9, but it is in 10, I'd like to know that...  we are currently weighing the pros and cons of upgrading, and this would most likely seal the deal!

As always, I am grateful for the help!!

Melinda

Outcomes